Yes, she's strange and different...but not THAT different.

09 November 2007

TG Vets

To establish my bona fides, let me reiterate that I was in the Navy's Submarine Service for nine years during the Vietnam War. In that time, I advanced to E-6 and had been selected for advancement to E-7 when I got out. And I'm transgendered. All of which leads up to pointing my readers here (both of you) to the following article in Gay & Lesbian Times: Transgender Veterans: Beyond ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell,’ transgender vets face different discriminations in the armed services.

Go read it.

  • On 11/09/2007 10:57 AM, Blogger SoulPony said…

    that link wouldn't open for me.

     
  • On 11/09/2007 11:28 AM, Blogger SoulPony said…

    wow. Sandeen must be a really strong person. she has lived the cats 9 lives.

     
  • On 11/09/2007 11:40 AM, Blogger Jen said…

    That was a really fascinating article, Jami. And I can't imagine what it must have been like for you on the submarine crew. You are one strong woman, but I think I've said that before.

     
  • On 11/09/2007 3:12 PM, Blogger Nancy said…

    Thanks for linking to that story. Sandeen told the story of I'm sure many others.

     
  • On 11/10/2007 7:04 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    You were in the submarine service? What are you trying to say here? That your flight into hypermasculinity didn't work? Hmmph. You obviously just didn't try hard enough. ;-)

    Autumn also has her story on the SLDN site. I spoke with her after I first read it, as I was writing my own story for them.

    Interestingly, the *very first* TG person I ever met, was ex-military. 12 years in the Army before they kicked her out. From a successful NCO to a 7-11 clerk on the midnight shift.

    Tomorrow, I don my old uniform blouse and march in my small town's Veteran's Day parade carrying a sign that says: Honor ALL Veterans; Repeal Don't Ask, Don't Tell. Hopefully, I won't get stoned. I'll post a photo and a story on my Life Law Gender blog.

     
  • On 11/11/2007 2:02 PM, Blogger Fourier Analyst said…

    Oh Jami, I hope things have been easier than they were for Sandeen.
    Hang in there darlin', the world is big enough for everyone if the rednecks would just keep their noses out of other folks' business.

     
  • On 11/12/2007 11:09 AM, Blogger Jami said…

    OK, Denise - you've convinced me. I'm going to try harder now. I'm going down to re-enlist! What? I'm too old? Dammit! I did SO want to try again ... NOT!!!

     
  • On 11/12/2007 1:41 PM, Blogger Weekends Off said…

    Just sending you (((HUGS))))

     
  • On 11/14/2007 10:17 AM, Blogger soccer mom in denial said…

    Wow. Are you in touch with the folks in the article?

     
  • On 11/14/2007 4:25 PM, Blogger Big Daddy said…

    Were you transgendered while serving?

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to Front Page