Yes, she's strange and different...but not THAT different.

13 June 2007

You're what?

A couple of things have come together in my life recently that triggered my wanting to comment on them; kind of a confluence of influences. I won't go into the details of who or what other than to say that the overarching theme was acceptance. Now, I've been assuming that most of the folks who stop by here know me, or at least know ABOUT me, and that might not always be true. So, in case you don't know, here are a few things you probably ought to know: I'm the parent of two terrific kids, a son, 15, and a daughter, 9. I have a spouse. We've been together for 40 years. I'm 62 and a Gemini. I'm a Texan. I swear. I'm bisexual. I'm a liberal independent. I'm transgendered. I do standup comedy. And none of this is a joke - although some parts might be funny.

Still with me?

Good. I'm glad, because I've lost people from my life - some of whom I thought were true friends - because of at least one of the factoids above. Loss is never pleasant, but I've learned that the people who deliberately left my life for something as inconsequential as my political leanings or my fucking language are not really the kind of people I want in my life anyway. Besides, it seems that ultimately more folks come into my life than leave it ... but that could be a function of poor memory, too: I may have just forgotten all the ones that have left.

Because of where this blog exists in the blogosphere and the connections it has to the rest of that abstract world, I'm assuming that folks who have never been here before are folks who will accept who I am and hopefully even like me. But just to make sure and save us all some embarrassment later, I wanted to lay out some items that might be an issue before you decide that you like me based on my picture or some of my posts. I will fully admit to being something other than normal (whatever the hell that is) and different from most other folks - but then again, we all are.

Oh, and if you have questions for me, don't hesitate to ask them. I'd rather you find out all the gory details of who I am rather than make incorrect assumptions.

UPDATE 1: The "transgendered" link above leads you to an interview I did for konagod's blog. However, kona recently changed his blog format to a color scheme that may make part of the original interview - his questions - damned near unreadable for some browsers. The solution is to select each question - the unreadable part - thus highlighting it and making it readable. Then read my answer and move on to the next question. Problem solved.

UPDATE 2: I have updated the ages in this post to be correct as of the end of November, 2010. If I continue to link to this as an exposition, I might have to break down and write a script that will do that automatically. But I'm lazy.

  • On 6/13/2007 6:44 PM, Blogger Howard said…

    Anyone who describes their language as 'fucking', has me as a BFF! OMG! LOL!

     
  • On 6/13/2007 10:53 PM, Blogger hotdrwife said…

    I have no questions, I have no assumptions. I'm just glad you peeked over at my blog that one time and have been back often. Thanks for sharing funny self with the rest of us.

    Aaaaaaaaaaaaand, that's all. :)

     
  • On 6/14/2007 2:44 AM, Blogger cathouse teri said…

    I'm sorry, I can't talk to you any more. I don't speak to people who do stand up comedy. Hee hee.

    Fucking language! Love it! When people ask if I'm a Christian I say, "Yes, and I'm on a fucking mission!" (and I am)

     
  • On 6/14/2007 11:22 AM, Blogger Jenn in Holland said…

    But if you gain people in your life because of some of the above, how does that sit with you?

    I have to say, I tripped upon you via a comment you left at Cathouse Teri's place. I had to come not just because the comment was hilarious but truly because your bio photo is so gorgeous. My actual thought was "she looks just like Jami Lee Curtis" So I had to come find out about you.
    The next day when CT linked to your interview, I hopped over and read that and then came running back here for more. And I have read and read and read.
    So, kinda seems like you're stuck with me Jami. And not just because of the items on your list, but because you are real and honest and just completely the genuine article. I am deeply impressed.

     
  • On 6/14/2007 2:08 PM, Blogger Jami said…

    Wow - thanks y'all! My faith in humanity just got a boost ... assuming most of the folks who posted replies are human.

    And I may have put on a few pounds in the past couple of years but several people's worth? I don't think so!

     
  • On 6/15/2007 9:09 AM, Blogger Sherri said…

    Actually I like you because I troll the internet looking for bi-sexual, transgender, mothers of tweens who have been married only once and blog.

    It's a hobby. You'll find most Southern Baptist redneck women from NC do it.

     
  • On 6/15/2007 9:23 AM, Blogger Jami said…

    Sher - you know, I hadn't really noticed until you brought it up. But now, I see redneck Baptist women everywhere!

     
  • On 7/17/2007 10:24 PM, Blogger Nancy said…

    I am not a parent of two terrific kids under the age of 12, (my 2 terrific kids are 19 and 21), I don't have a spouse, I won't be 59 for 7 more years,I'm not a Texan, I do swear, (ya got me there) I'm not bisexual. I'm happily independent, I'm not transgendered, I enjoy stand-up comedy.

    BUT... we are extremely alike because we are both "something other than normal"

    I enjoy your writing and the comments you leave for Sher!

     
  • On 8/06/2007 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm happily married, not gay or transgendered, mother of three, living in the Bible Belt and smack in the middle of "The Capital of the Conferederacy."

    Can I still play with you?

    If it helps, I'm addicted to stand-up.

     
  • On 8/06/2007 8:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    PS - I misspelled that on purpose... *burp*

     
  • On 10/09/2007 10:37 AM, Blogger Dr Z said…

    You lost me with the kids under 12 (shudder). Oh, wait, I've got one of those at home. Well, it's only a matter of time. Houston, huh? Quite the bastion of liberal thinking, or so I've heard.

    (p.s. I wandered here because I 'met' you at wolfesmusings, and have seen you alot hanging around the cathouse)

     
  • On 10/09/2007 12:15 PM, Blogger Jami said…

    Welcome to the nuthouse, Zog! And Houston is actually relatively liberal ... for Texas.

     
  • On 2/01/2008 5:09 PM, Blogger heels said…

    Thanks for leaving a note on my page. If you hadn't, I may never have been led here!

    It's hard to say this without seeming like an asshole, but I really appreciate being able to read your blog and "see" you (as much as one can through the internet!) as just another person. Though I have never felt that I was in any way bigoted toward transgendered people, my sister being in a serious relationship with someone who is has forced a new perspective on me. I realize now that I once viewed those people as novelties and "other," even though I had no negative feelings toward them. I am happy to now get to know these people as brother-in-law, friends, and plain regular people. It's hard for a liberal like me to recognize just what an ignorant jerk she's been! I'm sure I still have a way to go. Sorry if this didn't come out right. I only mean this as a thanks and a "keep up the good work," for whatever that's worth.

    Apparently I am a long-winded asshole...

     
  • On 2/04/2008 3:07 PM, Blogger Jami said…

    @heels:

    > Thanks for leaving a note on my page. If you hadn't, I may never have been led here!

    Here? Out of the wilderness and into the promised land?

    > It's hard to say this without seeming like an asshole, but I really appreciate being able to read your blog and "see" you (as much as one can through the internet!) as just another person.

    No assholiness (now that's a word that causes second looks) comes through at all. I understand what you're saying. Long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away I happened across a segment of a Jerry Springer show about one of his (in)famous inflammatory topics (don't remember what) with the appropriate "guests". Just as I was in the process of moving to another channel in disgust, it suddenly occurred to me that all the people on the stage and in the audience were still just PEOPLE. They had to eat and drink and then they had to shit and pee. They had families and friends and pets and bills to pay and all the other bullshit attendant upon being a person in this country. And in that sense, there wasn't any difference between them and me. So, yeah, I have learned something from Jerry Springer, but I won't admit it. I don't know if you learned it from Jerry but that same lesson is what I think you're talking about.

    > It's hard for a liberal like me to recognize just what an ignorant jerk she's been!

    Maybe (although indifference doesn't make you a jerk), but don't forget that ignorance is a correctable condition. Stupidity and bigotry are not.

    > Sorry if this didn't come out right.

    Honey, it came out just right! Thank you for letting me know that despite my thin veneer of cynicism and fear, my underlying core of hopefulness for us all is correct.

    > Apparently I am a long-winded asshole...

    Apparently you have come to the right place ...

     
  • On 5/07/2010 8:21 AM, Blogger Jodie Christiansen said…

    love to you Jami

     
  • On 11/16/2010 7:15 PM, Anonymous kris said…

    Snort!

    Did you think I hadn't done my homework? Or that I was stupid and shallow? Silly you.

    Love you, babe.

     
  • On 6/29/2012 1:40 AM, Blogger Janet said…

    Well Hell ... I left my first message before I had read your profile. Now I am thinking that you are even more interesting than I first thought.

     
  • On 12/11/2012 1:18 PM, Blogger Jami said…

    So, Janet - now that a little time has passed (and I've finally realized that I hadn't done any comment moderation in a while <*coff*6 months!*coff*>, do you still think I'm interesting?

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to Front Page