Yes, she's strange and different...but not THAT different.

17 January 2006

Jury Duty

I've got county jury duty this afternoon - I have to be there at 12:45. A lot of people I know don't particularly like jury duty, but I rather enjoy it. It's a chance for me to (for the most part) just sit and read, and since that second child found her way into our house, I'm always behind in my reading. Of course, if I get picked for a jury then that's another story. No reading then - except on breaks, of course. The only thing I don't like about jury duty nowadays is that I lose money because I'm working as hourly help instead of being salaried. The $30 I will get paid by the county for sitting and reading at the jury assembly room doesn't quite match the $47.50 an hour I'm not getting paid for working at the office. I'll probably squander the thirty bucks on something frivolous, though, since it feels like "free" money. [Just as an aside, way back when I actually lived in Houston (instead of in the sticks outside the big city where I am now), I once was on a jury panel with Alan Shepard. The line for my autograph forms on the right, please.]

OK, what else is cluttering up my brain that I should clear out?

I'm looking for feedback on the taglines at the bottom of the pages here. Have you seen them? Although I've collected hundreds of these things, I've only put about 20 of them on the blog to be randomly displayed. I'm thinking of periodically rotating about that many through the pages as the current set gets old. Should I bother? I'm also thinking about putting in some code that will reveal/hide each entry's comments on the main page. That way the current posts and their comments could be accessed from one place without having the page become ginormous. Is that just a geek thing for me or would it be worthwhile?

Finally, I'm disappointed that no one has followed up on what I thought was a brilliant and funny play on words in my comment on Maria's "Recruitment is Up" post at Daily Dose of Queer. Damn! Is it too obscure to be funny? Or is it just not funny and/or noteworthy? I'm not fishing for accolades or acknowledgement of my brilliance in bringing this up; as a comedian, I'm genuinely (and professionally) interested in what's funny. I try to stealwrite things that will make others laugh ... or at least think a little bit about laughing ... or maybe just think a little bit.

  • On 1/17/2006 6:06 PM, Blogger DeniseUMLaw said…

    OK -- I don't care about the geek things; I only care about your posts. I've only occassionally noted the taglines (and they brought back memories of SLMR and a board in Atlanta) and have enjoyed them when I do. I don't even know what you're saying about the comments, so I express no opinion.

    Finally, I have been so remiss in my blog reading that I didn't even see your comment at DDQ, so I've no idea if it was funny or not.

    Happy?

     
  • On 1/18/2006 9:06 AM, Blogger DeniseUMLaw said…

    OK, I followed the link and commented on the "bearing fruit" comment. tsk.

     
  • On 1/18/2006 1:29 PM, Blogger Jami said…

    [Update] Jury duty is over. I didn't get picked for a panel and thus got to sit and read for almost 3 hours. That's a duty?

    So, if I indulge in some geekiness (as is my nature), I won't bother y'all with the details ... even if they ARE really cool! The taglines stay, though. As Denise knows, I'm attached to them (and they're usually attached to some Web presence of mine).

    And the remarks were punny instead of funny?

     
  • On 1/20/2006 12:25 PM, Blogger Jami said…

    I indulged my not-so-secret vice: science fiction. I'm a big fan of Frank Herbert's "Dune", and I spent my jury time reading "The Battle of Corrin" set in that universe. I've got another book going at home on ADD in kids and adults, and I've also started "She's Not There". In addition, I've got a couple of dozen books on my Haven't-Read-'Em-Yet bookshelf that I'd like to get through before my son graduates from high school (in 8 years).

    What will I do with the money? Maybe buy a cheap pair of shoes, or maybe just a really big cup of something at Starbucks.

    And the tags are down at the very bottom, so I'm not particularly upset that folks don't see them. I look at them as just a little extra something I offer that you don't have to indulge in in order to enjoy the wisdom I offer.

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to Front Page