Yes, she's strange and different...but not THAT different.

20 January 2006

Shut up - but I mean that in a nice way

I talk too much. It's a trait my daughter seems to have picked up from me, too. The joke in our family is that she has a speech impediment: she has to stop to breathe now and then. I tend to just ramble verbally when I get started and have to sometimes be told (in a nice way, of course) to just shut it when folks have reached saturation. Of course, not a lot of folks know me well enough to be impolite enough to stop the rambling. It's a shortcoming that I try to be aware of, though, and thus cut myself off when I see my conversational target partner start to glaze over. I'm not always successful in this self-policing, though.

This same communications diarrhea of mine seems to carry over into the online world, too. I tend to think of comments about a lot of things I read and because blogs allow instant feedback, my self-censor doesn't kick in fast enough to keep me from throwing my couple of pennies worth in whenever I feel the urge to do so. In hindsight, I realize that I sometimes come across as a know-it-all or even egocentric when I put up a bunch of comments in a bunch of places. But the reality is that I just have a hard time shutting up.

(OK, maybe I AM a little bit egocentric as evidenced by the fact that I actually enjoy standing in front of a group of people and being the center of attention while trying to make them laugh ... but I'm not THAT egocentric.)

  • On 1/20/2006 1:05 PM, Blogger DeniseUMLaw said…

    A) Of course you're a bit egocentric. Thank goodness for that!

    B) I know you well enough to tell you when to shut up, but I enjoy listening to you.

    C) Bloggers generally heart comments, so commenting all over is not a bad thing -- also, it's often a way to get readership on your own blog.

    D) love, Love, LOVE! the new picture.

     
  • On 1/20/2006 2:07 PM, Blogger Jami said…

    A) Of course!

    B) And I seem to recall you telling me (in a nice way, of course) that it was time to quiet down.

    C) I like your reasoning! OK, I'm not going to stop commenting.

    D) It's a lot more recent than the previous one, which just happened to be the first head shot I came across when putting this place together. This one is about 6 months old and as you can see, was taken after I got my hair cut. My hair is still about that length, BTW.

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to Front Page