Yes, she's strange and different...but not THAT different.

08 February 2006

News from Across the Pond

Two articles of interest came to my attention today from the UK. First, from the Yorkshire Post Today: Patient sues over long wait for sex change. Second, from the News & Star: Good luck for a new life, Angel. And now I've brought them to your attention.

  • On 2/21/2006 2:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How interesting! I live in West Yorkshire, specifically Hebden Bridge which is the almost-official lesbian capital of the UK. It's a small, delightful, quintessentially English, town; I actually live on the edge of the Yorkshire Moors, the nearest shop is half an hour's walk away. We moved here from London and I have to say, while you get prejudice and intolerance everywhere in the world, this little enclave is renowned for its diversity. We have an extraordinary number of artists, poets, sculptors, alternative therapists - you get the idea. My partner David and I said when moving here from east London that we wanted to introduce a little balance by building the gay male contingent! :-)

    Actually, since moving here, we've met a few other gay men, and the lesbians do not, contrary to prejudice, eat men but are instead very friendly. Then they eat them! No, kidding...

    I am convinced this part of the world has a magick to it all its own, and it's sad to read that this woman (I hope I am right in referencing her at-present inner gender as the right focus?) had had to resort to such a fight to acquire her needs. I hope everything goes alright for her.

    On the plus side, the fact that we have a National Health Service means, despite its faults, that transgendered people are not limited usually by their ability to pay for the necessary counselling and operations. I would imagine a working-class transgendered person in, say, the US would find it very hard to ever realise their dreams of wholeness? x

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to Front Page