Yes, she's strange and different...but not THAT different.

02 February 2006

We didn't get upset

BBC News reports a China ban for Memoirs of a Geisha because it's about Japan and also because Chinese actresses portray Japanese characters. (In case you didn't know, the Chinese still harbor a great deal of animosity toward the Japanese because of WWII and before.) The Japanese are likewise pissed because Japanese actors weren't chosen to portray the Japanese characters. My reaction? Get over it! We transfolks didn't get all bent out of shape because Felicity Huffman was chosen to star in Transamerica. (Well, most of us didn't anyway.) They're ACTORS and these are Hollywood fiction movies, not documentaries.

Also, China has banned Brokeback Mountain, evidently because they don't want the people there to find out the truth about cowboys.

  • On 2/02/2006 1:49 PM, Blogger DeniseUMLaw said…

    Well... I *did* get all bent out of shape when I initially heard about Felicity being selected for the role of Bree.

    http://musingsonlifelawandgender.typepad.com/life_law_gender/2005/04/new_transgender.html

    Nevertheless, I've made amends, offered my apologies to Felicity (she refused my phone call) and to my blog readers and have thoroughly enjoyed the movie. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to Front Page