Yes, she's strange and different...but not THAT different.

01 March 2006

More know Simpsons than Constitution

This blurb at MSNBC.com doesn't surprise me at all. So why mention it? Because while it doesn't surprise me, it does scare and sadden me. If America doesn't even know what rights we are guaranteed, how will we know when they get taken away?

  • On 3/02/2006 12:44 AM, Blogger Glenn Ingersoll said…

    Um. The right to remain ignorant? I've heard that one asserted. It's weird arguing against, you know. Someone would want a right to know nothing? That doesn't sound like anything I would fight for.

     
  • On 3/02/2006 2:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your last line says it all, Jami. I share your concern. We don't have a constitution here but people are equally ignorant of their rights and how important it is to maintain them. x

     
  • On 3/02/2006 2:48 AM, Blogger Marti said…

    We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more mind numb Union, establish complacency, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for Haliburton, remove the poor from Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to those with a big enough checking accounts and our keep the poor down while increasing the wealthy business owners Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the Simpson States of America.

    DOH!

     
  • On 3/02/2006 9:46 AM, Blogger Jami said…

    Sometimes I am overcome by something of a Darwinian attitude that those who don't know or care about their rights deserve to lose them. The only problem with that attitude is that if they lose their rights, I lose mine, too.

    Marti - love your new updated preamble. Think we could get a member of Congress (opposite of PROgress, ya know) to sponsor it as the new lead-in to the Constitution?

     
  • On 3/06/2006 8:36 AM, Blogger DeniseUMLaw said…

    I was getting my hair trimmed on Friday and I mentioned to my stylist that I was studying the 14th Amendment to the Constitution. She asked: "What's the 14th Amendment?"

    ::sigh::

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to Front Page