Yes, she's strange and different...but not THAT different.

17 August 2006

Happy Birthday, Daddy!

Today is my father's birthday. Had he made it this far, he would have been 85 today. But he died on Thanksgiving 4 years ago, and I still miss him. I'm ashamed to say that my siblings and I have yet to decide what to do with his ashes; they still sit in a Barnes and Noble bag (he was a bibliophile) in my closet. Anyway, I just wanted to take a moment to publicly say, "Happy Birthday, Daddy." And that being an orphan sucks.

  • On 8/17/2006 6:19 PM, Blogger DeniseUMLaw said…

    I don't know what's worse. Missing your dad after he's passed on, or not. My dad died 6 or 7 years ago and I hardly ever give him a 2nd thought.

    I remember when your dad and your mom passed. You were lucky to have a good relationship (finally) with them both.

    Happy Birthday, Daddy.

     
  • On 8/18/2006 1:38 AM, Blogger Maya's Granny said…

    I lost my father in 1948, when I was six. I still miss him. The thing I finally realized was that I wouldn't trade having him for only six years for having any other father on earth for my entire life.

    I'm not an orphan yet, but losing a parent sucks big time.

     
  • On 8/19/2006 6:22 PM, Blogger FriĆ°vin said…

    My dad died on 12/30/82. I was only 22 and hadn't really matured enough to realize how foolish I was to not have learned more from him. He was a smart man and could do just about anything.

    I want to kick myself whenever there are repairs around the house that I'm not sure how to do, and especially car issues.

     
  • On 8/21/2006 2:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Darn it. I just took fifteen minutes trying to get your comments page to load properly. It gave me the options - Blogger, Other, Anon - but nowhere to put name and site! This was after I wrote a response so I will try to reconstruct as not only did it not load properly, the page then froze and I couldn't copy my text to save it. Ah well...

    Here's what I basically wanted to say: you honour your father in a way I found touching and I am sure he is proud of you and your capacity to express your love so honestly. x

     
  • On 8/21/2006 4:24 PM, Blogger Jami said…

    Thank you very much everybody. My Dad always did appreciate a party!

     
  • On 8/22/2006 5:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So you take after him, then? >;-) x

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to Front Page