Yes, she's strange and different...but not THAT different.

07 September 2006

Book Tag

Tonya tagged me with this meme and because I love books and her, I decided to actually do this one. You will notice that in most cases, I don't have a single answer. That's because I rarely have a single answer to anything. (OK, I'm a Gemini) Anyhow, here's the book meme:


A book that changed my life
Letters from the Earth
by Mark Twain

I finally got it about religion. If Mark Twain thought it was stupid, it was OK for me to think it, too. I think it was from this book that I got the phrase that finally stopped my mother from bugging me about going to church: "I really don't think I have anything in common with a religous doctrine centered around ritualistic cannabilism."


A book I've read more than once
1) The Prophet
by Kahlil Gibran

I just like reading these poems; no apologies.

2) Hardwired
by Walter Jon Williams

A hard-core cyberpunk SF thriller with sex, drugs, computers and rock and roll that plays out as a movie in my head every time I read it.


A book I would take with me if I were stuck on a desert island
1) (see above)

2) U.S. Army Field Manual 3-05.70
by United States Army John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School

This is the U.S. Army's Survival guide. 'Nuff said.

3) All the cyberpunk novels
by William Gibson


A book that made me laugh
1) Semi-Tough
by Dan Jenkins

I don't remember much specifically about this book other than that I laughed my ass off the whole time I was reading it.

2) When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops?
by George Carlin

Actually, anything by George Carlin makes me laugh.


A book that made me cry
1) Lovely Bones
by Alice Sebold

2) Desirelines: A unusual family memoir
by Richard Wherrett and Peter Wherrett

I will confess that Peter is a very good friend of mine and that I once read the really sad part of the book aloud to a small crowd in our hotel room in Atlanta because Peter couldn't.


A book that I wish had been written
My Autobiography
by Jack the Ripper


A book that I wish had never been written
Any book serving as the basis of a religion: the Bible, the Koran, the Book of Mormon, etc. Religion should be based strictly on oral storytelling and tradition. That way there's room for immediate adaptation and flexibility; there's no way someone can point to a page and say, "See! THIS is what it unchangingly says you are supposed to do."


A book I've been meaning to read
A Life Less Convenient: Letters to my Ex
by Jennifer Clare Burke

As soon as it comes out (on September 18) and I scrape up 20 bucks, I'll be reading this one.


A book I'm currently reading
War Letters: Extraordinary Correspondence from American Wars
edited by Andrew Carrol



I'm not sure how many folks I'm supposed to tag with this but I'm tagging Jen, Denise and konagod.

  • On 9/08/2006 10:01 AM, Blogger konagod said…

    I haven't read the "...Pork Chops" book yet. I'm overdue.

    There is one I'd like to read: "Born to Kvetch"

     
  • On 9/08/2006 1:29 PM, Blogger Tonya said…

    I own The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran. I guess I need to be reading it. Isn't that a fun list?

     
  • On 9/10/2006 3:06 AM, Blogger Jen said…

    I keep hearing such great thing about Gibran. Amazon wishlist, here I cometh.

    I'm going to have to pick more than one book for these answers. Wow, it's funny to realize how many have influenced me and left a mark on me. I know folks who have read so much but can still point to one or two books as favs or life-changers. I can't. I'm slutty like that.

     
  • On 9/12/2006 12:10 PM, Blogger Jami said…

    So I'm just a little slutty then?

     
  • On 10/01/2006 5:02 AM, Blogger Jen said…

    Oh, a LOT slutty, but don't tell anyone.

    It would have been nice if Kathy Acker could have been around to write her next book. That is the book that I wish was written. As for the years before her death (from Wikipedia):

    "In April 1996 Kathy Acker was diagnosed with breast cancer, and began to undergo treatment. In January 1997 she wrote about her loss of faith in conventional medicine in a Guardian article, "The Gift of Disease." In the article she explains that after unsuccessful surgery, which left her feeling physically mutilated and emotionally debilitated, she rejected the passivity of the patient in the medical mainstream and began to seek out the advice of nutritionists, acupuncturists, psychic healers, and Chinese herbalists. What appeals to her is that instead of being an object of knowledge, as in Western medicine, the patient becomes a seer, a seeker of wisdom."

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to Front Page