Yes, she's strange and different...but not THAT different.

11 September 2006

Remembering 9/11

What am I going to do in memory of 9/11? This is it. I remember the event, the day vividly. I don't need someone to ask me where I was or tell me how I should feel about it or remind me of what happened. We all live with the aftermath of that horrendous event every day.

In one way, the people who were the driving force behind 9/11 succeeded: this country is more afraid and more hated in the world than it was on September 10, 2001. Using this event to take away rights is a despicable action. Using this event to try and circumvent the law and the Constitution is a despciable action. Using this event to whip voters into a frenzy of fear to drum up votes - yet again - is a despicable action.

Yes, we should honor those who died but we should also go on living our lives. That's the way to show the world that we can and will go on. I honor all those who died unnecessarily - both on 9/11 and since in Afghanistan and Iraq - but I do so in my own way without making a show about it. And I go on trying to live my life.

[UPDATE 12 Sep 2006]: Go read Keith Olbermann's special commentary This Hole in the Ground for an excellent response to DUHbya's 9/11 speech.

  • On 9/11/2006 10:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Today is a sad day, not just because we remember those who lost their lives that fateful day, but also because of what has happened to our country in the years since. I imagine that never in his wildest dreams did Osama bin Laden believe that Dubya would do so much to further his cause.

    I suspect that we are in for 8 long weeks of this "Be Afraid, Be very afraid" from Dubya and crew as they try to scare America into voting Republcian. Well, I tell you what I fear. I fear George W. Bush and what he will do to this country in these next few years. I don't fear terrorism. That's there goal, to make us afraid and I won't let them. In the five years since 9/11, I have yet to wake up and say "God I'm afraid of the terrorists" so why do people have this fear?

    You're right, it's time to get on with living. We can make living that much easier by voting these bums out come November and bringing about real change.

     
  • On 9/12/2006 9:27 AM, Blogger SoulPony said…

    amen sister.

     
  • On 9/14/2006 8:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/2368/1563/400/tunnel%20vision.png

     
  • On 9/15/2006 3:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was horrified as a foreign observer to witness Bush using his remembrance speech not to honour the dead but to try to claw back support both from within his party and his nation. The man has, of course, always been despicable but send this monkey where he belongs - you screwed up last time, this time needs all of you out there, pushing people to vote that sonofabitch out of office decisively along with the rest of those Republican criminals! Come, join the civilised world - I know there are enough intelligent Americans to start a new country if it doesn't work and they get back in! x

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to Front Page