Yes, she's strange and different...but not THAT different.

19 November 2006

Accentuate the accent

I'm something of a mimic - or so I've been told. I tend to speak with the predominant accent I hear in the people around me, especially after long exposure to them ... but I never really hear myself speaking with any accent. When I was in Scotland, the people with me said I was talking Scottish; I didn't think so. I will admit that I didn't have nearly as much of a problem understanding the Scots as they did. And when I was in California and called home to talk to my mother, she promised that she was going to wash my mouth out with grits when I got home because I'd evidently picked up, like, some sort of, you know, accent? In California, or wherever? I only bring this up because Tonya made me go take this test and it says I don't have an accent at all.

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Midland

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

What American accent do you have?


So, how about a native Texan with no accent? It almost seems unpatriotic.

  • On 11/21/2006 11:03 AM, Blogger SoulPony said…

    you are safe from those that think it's not ok to have an accent. you are lucky in that, it gets old for us folk who don't plan on changing.

     
  • On 11/22/2006 11:57 AM, Blogger Jami said…

    Don't EVER change! Accents, like everything else that makes us all different, are beautiful things. Maybe instead of saying I have NO accent, I should be saying that I have ALL accents.

     
  • On 11/22/2006 12:21 PM, Blogger nexy said…

    it pegged me perfectly. i'm totally northeast.
    "Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island."
    yup, north jersey. i'm impressed.

     
  • On 11/23/2006 6:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I too am a bit of a chameleon that way.

    Scots is a language all its own, some would say - certainly, like much Black English, very different to Queen's English (which hardly anyone speaks unless they live in Chelsea). I love the sound of the Scottish accent, though, and think the Merseyside/Liverpudlian accent is very appealingly cheeky! x

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to Front Page