Yes, she's strange and different...but not THAT different.

08 December 2006

The Elevators rise again

If you watch any commercial television now, you've probably seen Dell Computer's laptop ad with the cool background music. That music is the lead-in to the song "You're Gonna Miss Me" and was from the album "The Psychedelic Sounds of The 13th Floor Elevators". That album was released in 1966 just after I graduated from high school. It was the first stereo album I bought (I still have it) and that album and "You're Gonna Miss Me" was partly responsible for hurrying along my descent into debauchery and drugs and independence. I'm pretty sure I saw the 13th Floor Elevators play live in Houston sometime during 1966 or '67, but a lot of that time will always be somewhat hazy for me.

It just seems almost sacreligious to me to use the Elevators to pimp Dell computers.
(But it was nice to get a little hit of acid again.)

  • On 12/09/2006 11:16 AM, Blogger FriĆ°vin said…

    Great clip! Reminds me of why I love that era. The knockoff bands in the 80s who continued to remake that music just can't compare.

    As for music pimping products, don't get me started. I just groan everytime I see another person selling their art for advertising.

     
  • On 12/10/2006 9:14 AM, Blogger Michael Bains said…

    Diggin' Konagod's take.

    I do think the music lately, maybe thanks to the internets, maybe just to cyclical inevitability, is pretty darned good though. There's always lots a nuggets o' gold amidst the mountains of crap the Industry pushes.

    And, did ya notice? Other than the graininess, the guys in that vid look like they coulda been performing live today. I swear that anything that ever was fashionable, is fashionable these days.

    Coolish, IMO.

     
  • On 12/11/2006 4:29 PM, Blogger Jami said…

    kona: they're not selling it for advertising - they're selling it for MONEY! (Although I'd be willing to bet that Roky Erickson and crew aren't getting a lot of money from Dell.)

    Michael: for guys, was fashionable might be is but for gals, not so much. Yes, specific women's styles recycle themselves but not all at once.

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to Front Page