Yes, she's strange and different...but not THAT different.

22 December 2006

If it wasn't for bad luck ...

... I wouldn't have no luck at all. Not to bitch and moan (OK, not THAT much) but in addition to not having any work lined up for next year now I've wrecked my car. And I hurt. OK, technically, I guess, I didn't wreck my car; it did it itself or the road did it or the weather - but it wasn't my fault. Going home from work last night in the rain, despite driving slowly and carefully because of the weather down a road I've traveled daily for about twenty years, my car hydroplaned while going around a curve and majestically floated off the road, down along a ditch and into a tree. It's a VERY scary feeling to have absolutely NO control of your car as it decides to head for disaster! But the airbag and seatbelt did their job and I walked away from the car, but I'm afraid it's a total loss. Or at least the front half of it is. (I'll post some pictures if I get any.) Actually, the airbag did more than its job because it also knocked out one of my front teeth when it went off. Surprisingly, it doesn't hurt at all but I talk funny now. Yeah, I look funny, too - OK? The only real damage I sustained was to my right shoulder: it feels like I've separated it. I know from experience (left shoulder) that the only thing to do for that is to rest it, which isn't hard to do since the pain keeps me from moving it much at all. Oh, and I broke my glasses. So I can't see, I hurt, I look and talk funny and I don't have any income after next week. ("Aside from that Mrs. Lincoln, how'd you like the play?") But I'm alive and there's a new year coming and it's sure as hell got to be better than the one that's ending. I'm looking forward to it. No. Really. I am.

  • On 12/22/2006 2:16 PM, Blogger DeniseUMLaw said…

    Congrats on the new car!!! :)

    Jami, I am so sorry you had an accident; I know *exactly* of what you speak. I've had the same experience and you're right -- it's frightening. I'm so grateful your safe.

     
  • On 12/22/2006 2:33 PM, Blogger Jami said…

    Thanks! My daughter said this morning, "I'm glad you're still here today." My reply was, "Me, too!" Although - as my dear Dad was known to say (but never in front of us kids) - I feel like a warmed-over bowl of homemade fuck, I'm not gone yet!

     
  • On 12/22/2006 5:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sorry to hear about your accident. I've never been in one but did get knocked down by a car once as I was walking across a street. Thank the Godess that I got to walk away with no injuries.

    Have you ever used Arnica? It's great for stiff muscles or bruises.

    Get well!!

    txrad

     
  • On 12/22/2006 5:43 PM, Blogger She says said…

    Oooh, ouch. Hope you're feeling better...?

    Nothing like finishing the year off with a bang... and in your case, a bang, boom, bump and major crunch.

    And that's a helluva way of getting out of shovelling snow this winter... oh wait, oh yeah, Houston and all that...

    Well, here's to good health in 2007!

     
  • On 12/22/2006 6:26 PM, Blogger Michael Bains said…

    Oh my! I am So Glad you're relatively alright after that kind of experience, Jami. That's some totally scary stuff, and now ya hafta get another car and job(s)?

    I totaled a car back in '87 and, believe it or not, 'twas the best thing that coulda happened to my young punk-ass self. Different circs, I know it, but still... I hope the same occurs in your situation.

    Okay then. It can - and WILL - get better.

    Get that rest, Lady, and remember - like I has to remind you - Laughter is the best medicine.

    Especially with a side o' wine. {-;

     
  • On 12/22/2006 6:41 PM, Blogger FriĆ°vin said…

    I'm so glad you're OK. Jeez, Mr. Shakes earlier this week and now you. Stop it, you kids! You're making me nervous.

    Hydroplaning is horrible. The only thing I fear more is just ... ice.

    I lived in Little Rock a long time. If you haven't lived in a place that gets ice storms and has steep hills, then you really haven't lived!

     
  • On 12/28/2006 10:59 AM, Blogger SoulPony said…

    dang it Jami. what luck. i'm sending all my voodoo vibes your way hopeing things will get better. sounds like your about to the point things should soon start swinging up.

     
  • On 12/28/2006 3:53 PM, Blogger Maya's Granny said…

    Jami,
    I understand exactly how that feels -- a couple of years ago I hit water over ice and hydroplaned and then spun. Luckily there was a snow berm to stop me. I have never felt so out of control in my life.

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to Front Page