Yes, she's strange and different...but not THAT different.

01 February 2007

So, what happened to your arm?

That's a question I've been answering a lot in the past three weeks, so I figured that it's time I told you folks what happened. In a nutshell, I broke my right elbow when I fell on my side and landed on my arm. I was on a short step-stool picking grapefruit from one of the trees in our back yard in advance of the first really freezing cold weather we were due to have. I was only about 2 feet up and leaning to my right to reach for some fruit when the stool went over sideways; I went the other sideways and couldn't quite get my arm into position to break my fall. I did, however, get it under me into perfect position to break my elbow when I landed on my right side. Luckily, it was not a bad break, so once the cast is off and I learn how to use my arm and to type again, I should be fine. I keep asking my doctor if I'll be able to play the guitar after the cast comes off, but he refuses to fall for that. Getting dressed sucks, especailly putting on a bra, so I don't ... put on a bra, that is. Also because of the angle of my arm, I cannot reach my face or my hair with my right hand so no makeup (other than Chapstick) or hair arrangement (other than washing and brushing) has been done for three weeks. I tried both of them left-handed and while I'm OK at doing some things left-handed, makeup and hair aren't on that list. Finally, the worst things are not being able to reach some places to scratch (like left armpit) and not being able to reach my mouth with any eating utensil other than a long-handled ice tea spoon. Luckily, eating is on my "OK at doing left-handed" list.

The scene of the crime. We did manage to ultimately get the remainder of the fruit you see hiding at the upper left. Oh, and did you know that grapefruit trees (most citrus trees, in fact) have big, long, nasty, ugly, sharp painful thorns? They do - believe me.


The guilty party. I was standing on the second step when this guy decided to fall down. I had no choice but to play along.


The sentence. I have to wear this cast for another week. The good news is that all I needed was a cast for a month instead of the usual broken elbow surgery to implant a small harware store in my arm. The bad news is that I'm right-handed. And my arm hurts. My kids signed the cast and then my son realized that he had been concentrating so hard on writing on the rough surface that he left a letter out of his name. We (kind of) erased that effort with acetone and he did it right the second time.


The reward. This is about two-thirds of the pile of grapefruit I managed to get before I was forced to stop. They're VERY good but they're loaded with seeds. The little oranges are our last mandarins, also from trees in our yard. There aren't very many of them because we all tend to wander out and snack off these babies right off the tree.

(... and yes, I'm wearing leopard print bikini panties with a red camisole top. Deal with it.)

  • On 2/01/2007 6:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    First, the important thing: leopard-print bikinis!!!!!!!!!!

    ;)

    Totally fine with me. Always fine with me.

    I'm looking at that step ladder and thinking right now of how you could have injured your back or neck or pelvis quite seriously. All very scary.

    I don't want to minimize the arm because the it is hell now to eat, wash, bathe, dress, and basically live (my sis had a similar fall and injury, complete with cast, and had to have help just getting on a bra, not to mention every other basic self-care task).

    The pain has to suck big-time though. I'm so sorry you're stuck with the cast for another week - ugh!

     
  • On 2/01/2007 11:08 PM, Blogger Howard said…

    Okay, I would much rather have had one of those grapefruits squirt me in the eye for 30 seconds than to hear about you falling on your elbow. Ugh.

    Take care of it and get well soon!

     
  • On 2/03/2007 6:10 AM, Blogger DeniseUMLaw said…

    I lived with my right arm in a cast for 6 weeks after I broke that same elbow (but did have to have surgery to repair it), so I totally empathize with ya, girl-friend.

    Thanks for sharing (finally!) and do, please, get well soon! We all NEED that typing hand back in action. :)

     
  • On 2/04/2007 4:40 PM, Blogger FriĆ°vin said…

    Jami, you are on a roll lately.
    Ooooh. Take care of yourself. Pamper.

     
  • On 2/05/2007 2:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I dont think your different you like things you wear them. I do the same thing wearing just lacy slips.

     
  • On 2/05/2007 4:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You're doing much better than I would have. That tree would have been chopped down weeks ago.

    Just chapstick? YOU are a TROUPER my friend!!!!

    Take care of yourself. No more climbing for you.

     
  • On 2/08/2007 3:23 PM, Blogger Michael Bains said…

    So, um, the top is cute, and the cast, well, obviously you had to model the cast, but, well, why don't we get to see the rest?

    :-(-:

    Shakespeares' Sister just did a post asking who's broken bones and which bones!

    Sheesh... Now my superstitious side is telling me I'm "next".

    {-;

    I hope you heal well and quickly Jami!

     
  • On 2/18/2007 9:40 PM, Blogger Michael Bains said…

    ... he had been concentrating so hard on writing on the rough surface that he left a letter out of his name.

    You know how cute that is? Not to mention how well I remember having teh very same problem.

    D'oh!

    {-;

     
  • On 3/01/2007 10:37 AM, Blogger SoulPony said…

    I've been so busy lately I hardly have a chance to catch up on my favorite blogs. Sorry about your arm and I'm glad it's getting better.

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to Front Page