Yes, she's strange and different...but not THAT different.

15 March 2007

Miscellania


  • I've been interviewing for a "real" job lately. I had two interviews last week and two more this week. I'd love to land either one of the ones I went on last week, so keep your fingers crossed. I probably won't hear anything for at least a week, though, because this is spring break week and a lot of working folks are spending their days taking care of their out-of-school kids. Some of us non-working folks are taking care of our kids, too.

  • We used to have two zebra finches. But they looked lonely so we bought two more and also two society finches. Now we have two society finches and ten zebra finches. Who knew zebra finches were like avian rabbits?

  • Speaking of birds, a pair of cardinals has set up housekeeping (OK, nestkeeping) in the rafters of our garage. We don't always close up the garage but now I can't close all the doors at all for fear of their not being able to get out early in the morning ... to get the worm, you know.

  • My 11-year-old son cracked us up with a great short bit last night that I think was original. Unfortunately, it was largely visual so I can't relate it here, but I will tell you that it's about a good actor, a bad actor and a really bad actor. Remind me the next time you see me; I'll show it to you and you can laugh, too.

  • It's now officially spring (here, anyway) because the native pecan trees have budded out. The dogwood, redbud, mayhaw, apples, peaches and pears are all in bloom, too. The citrus trees have yet to get with the program, though. Oh, and the fire ants are active again, too.

  • On 3/18/2007 5:09 PM, Blogger FriĆ°vin said…

    Good luck with the "real" job. I sure love mine. And now that txrad is there, it's even better.

    You sound like me with the cardinals in the garage door. I keep a door ajar from the backyard into the garage for the cats. Lately a skunk or two has been going in there as well (after dining on the cat food). So now I'm wondering if I need to leave the garage door open so the skunk or cats will have two exits.

     
  • On 3/19/2007 6:05 AM, Blogger DeniseUMLaw said…

    Good luck, Jami! I've fingers crossed for you!

     
  • On 3/20/2007 11:16 AM, Blogger SoulPony said…

    fingers crossed for ya

     
  • On 3/24/2007 2:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Finches, eh, Jami? They do have a reputation for being the gerbils of the avian kingdom.

    My wife n' I have 2 blue-front Amazon parrots. Maybe you can help with my problem. We have the father (Jesse), the mother (Hannah) who has passed on, and one kid (Mikey). The problem is that Mikey doesn't know if (s)he's male or female. We could have a chromosome test done, but because of Littleton v. Prange, we don't think that's the right thing to do. Of course, flipping the bird over is inconclusive. Our next move was to take herim to Southern Comfort, but Mikey became even more confused after visiting there. Our next move was to let our TS friend Monica Roberts take care of both birds while we cruised the Caribbean, figuring her good example might show Mikey that transition would be OK. The problem is, Mikey has been coming on to Jesse. Is the answer to not force Mikey into either gender mode, and let Mikey decide for birdself? Should we obtain hormones for Mikey? Or should we let Mikey be a gay bird if Mikey wishes? And is it okay for gay parrots to, uh, be interested in their dad? And, can the law come and bust Jesse? What if they got married? Kentucky has the nastiest DOMA in the country.

    Interested in your ideas,
    AC, the polar bear.

     
  • On 4/03/2007 12:21 PM, Blogger Jami said…

    AC, I'd say that you're probably better off just letting Mikey decide for birdself. He might be confused by the fact that in the bird world the ones with the bright pretty appearance are the males - as opposed to the human world. Of course, there might be more problems than that, what with coming on to a parent and all ...

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to Front Page