Yes, she's strange and different...but not THAT different.

21 June 2007

Crowning moment

(I'm a little late in getting this posted, but I just found out about it so I've got an excuse.)

The Fresno Bee has a story about this year's prom queen at Roosevelt High in Fresno: Johnny Vera. (There are pictures, too.)
The silver tiara matched his silver stilettos when Johnny Vera was named prom queen Saturday night at Roosevelt High School.
...
"For me, it's about more than a crown. It's about saying to people, 'Come out and be who you want to be,' " Vera said. A crowded, urban high school scene paused to listen. "You have to say, 'I am who I am, and I'm proud of who I am. My spirit will never be down on the floor.' "
Now, as good as it is, the Bee article referred to Vera as "Johnny" and used masculine pronouns. Another article that appeared in Vida en el Valle fares a little better.
Vera is a transgender who prefers to be called 'Crystal' or 'she' instead of he.
...
"If you look at crystals, they're clear and very delicate. If you see a crystal, you can see right through them, there's no lying, there's no hiding. But as soon as a crystal breaks, it loses it's value," said Vera.
Read 'em both, but you know what? I think I want to be this kid when I grow up and get my shit together.

[Update: videos from KFSN ABC30 about this story can be found here and here.]

  • On 6/21/2007 5:25 PM, Blogger cathouse teri said…

    I love that story, but mostly I love your response! We should all hope to be so together when we grow up!

     
  • On 6/21/2007 7:05 PM, Blogger cathouse teri said…

    I was just reading your "Net Neutrality" thingy over there >>

    I mistakenly thought it said, "Click here to preserve net neuterability!"

    I can just see me out accidentally crusading for neuterability!

     
  • On 6/22/2007 4:12 AM, Blogger Jenn in Holland said…

    Gosh, I got chills reading your post Jami. And then again reading the articles! What an incredible person. Wow. We should all have our shit so together.

     
  • On 7/02/2007 10:11 AM, Blogger Sherri said…

    Unbelievably pretty. How is it I've been the same gender since birth and I can't act, think, look like that?

    BTW, I would have much preferred seeing this story all over the news rather than the whole Paris BS.

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to Front Page