Yes, she's strange and different...but not THAT different.

01 June 2007

Time to get up

Getting my 11-year-old son out of bed in the morning takes about half an hour of time and half a stick of dynamite. He's one of those people who simply can / will not wake up, even when they've actually had enough sleep. If you will remember, I'm not one of those people. However, after living with another person for over 30 years who also falls into this category, I do understand the phenomenon. I'm even sympathetic, although I still think that way down deep it has to do with being lazy and weak-willed. (Not really, sweetie! That's a joke! No, really!) In any event, I am my family's alarm clock.

In addition to being very hard to awaken, my son sometimes will strike out physically before he's totally awake. (His mother isn't like that, BTW; she simply fakes being awake until the annoyance trying to waken her leaves.) He's done this for at least 10 years so I've had a chance to learn to dodge on his "physical" days. And since I'm bigger than he is, and he's a lot slower than I am when he's mostly asleep it hasn't really been a problem. Until today. This morning, in the process of waking him up, he managed to catch me totally unaware and bopped me VERY HARD right on the end of my nose. There was then some swearing (me) and some apologizing (him). My nose is not broken (been there, done that, this ain't it) but it does hurt. He and I will have a little discussion - again - about this waking up thing tonight, but I'm also trying to decide between the baseball catcher's equipment and the hockey goalie's equipment for Monday morning.

  • On 6/01/2007 11:23 AM, Blogger cathouse teri said…

    Oh the hazards of life! Maybe he's a future duke of hazzard?

     
  • On 6/01/2007 12:48 PM, Blogger Howard said…

    I would recommend Air Supply's Greatest Hits collection in a CD alarm clock with the volume set to 11.

    ...or a bucket of cold water.

     
  • On 6/05/2007 5:03 PM, Blogger DeniseUMLaw said…

    ROFL! Cute, cute story! Glad you're not more hurt. I have a child *just* like that. Thankfully, her fiance now has the task of awakening her!

     
  • On 6/06/2007 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Just recently I've been really bad at getting up in the mornings. Bed is just too warm and sleep too wonderful. Strange, this is my normal wintertime reaction. But my darling D, he is really not great with mornings... :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to Front Page