Yes, she's strange and different...but not THAT different.

06 August 2007

Can we talk?

Do you live in the good old U S of A? Do you have friends and/or family that probably live outside that country? Do you like to keep in touch with them by email or telephone? Do you possibly have a foreign-sounding name? If so, you may have just won a secret government intercept, recording and analysis of your communications. Over the weekend, the Democratic Congress proved itself once again to be just as brainwashed and acquiescent a lapdog as its Republican predecessor as it rolled over in submission to our Dear Leader and approved a brand-new secret wiretap package. "Gonzo" Gonzales is said to be panting in anticipation, as the FBI no longer has to obtain a warrant from anybody and can now simply request that the NSA intercept any communication where "foreign intelligence information" is at stake, without all those previous pesky "suspected terrorist" and court-approved warrant requirements. And you know, if you discuss what the weather is like in Wales with your grandmother who might or might not, but probably does, live in Cardiff (foreign nationals “reasonably believed to be outside the United States.”), THAT could be construed as "foreign intelligence information".

And there's so much political doublespeak and spin on this, it makes me dizzy to read it. Duhbya said at the signing
"When our intelligence professionals have the legal tools to gather information about the intentions of our enemies, America is safer. And when these same legal tools also protect the civil liberties of Americans, then we can have the confidence to know that we can preserve our freedoms while making America safer."
W T F? HOLY SHIT! Just Double-You Tee Eff!?

  • On 8/06/2007 2:57 PM, Blogger Nancy said…

    I don't have nothing to hide so in all honesty, it doesn't bother me. I am so boring ... just the fact that I was a person of interest would be interesting, lol

    The only thing I wish is that I knew if and when they were intercepting my calls or emails ... I would like to give some fat-a**, cigar smoking, donut eating, sex deprived, three piece suit, something to really eavesdrop in on! *wink*

     
  • On 8/06/2007 8:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm terrified. No shit. I don't know how to make that funny. I guess, "Cuba, here we come!"

     
  • On 8/07/2007 2:31 AM, Blogger Fourier Analyst said…

    I know I must be on their list, having married a "Foreign National" who is not interested in a green card or becoming a US citizen. Has to be suspicious doncha think?

     
  • On 8/07/2007 8:16 AM, Blogger SoulPony said…

    I have this thing with my mom. When we are on the phone and politics come up we always tell ole georgie a thing or two just in case he is listening. Like what a complete and utter ass he is and other stuff i shouldn't type here.

     
  • On 8/07/2007 9:50 AM, Blogger Jen said…

    My dad was on Nixon's "Enemies List" and the stupid Feds tapped the kids phone rather than Dad's - we could tell because of these weird clicks, occasional other conversations, etc. (and I think something was confirmed through the FIA later). Good thing to know our tax dollars were used to find out who was crushing on whom and what big plans 16-y-o girls had for their Saturday nights, huh?

    Now, I guess I'll be an enemy of the state, too, with my international exchange student phone calls, lol. Our state secrets will consist of whether my Swedish daughter should go to University in Stockholm or Goteburg, and how many wins my Danish son's water polo team has had recently. Very important state security stuff.

     
  • On 8/07/2007 7:20 PM, Blogger soccer mom in denial said…

    I was tracked in the early 1990's by the Louisiana State Police for my pro-choice work. Had a car posted outside my house and heard those clicks on the phone that Jen describes above.

    I fear what this administration is doing to our country. They are destroying us. How dare they.

     
  • On 8/08/2007 2:36 AM, Blogger cathouse teri said…

    Well I certainly don't have anything to hide, either. But when the protectors of the nation start taking liberties (and I mean TAKING liberties), we are so far down that dark path that I'm very sure none of us wants to be on, there is no turning back.

    And when the Double-Yoo fella starts talking on any given day, I can't help but be ready for the Tee Eff that follows.

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to Front Page