Yes, she's strange and different...but not THAT different.

23 August 2007

Just wonderin'

Why is it that one can be divorced and still be considered a Christian, but one cannot be homosexual and be considered a Christian? Divorce was prohibited in both the Old Testament and by Jesus himself in the New Testament and is surely a condition that could be termed a "lifestyle choice". Homosexuality was prohibited in the Old Testament only (as well as eating shellfish and a whole bunch of other "Thou Shalt Nots") and is - despite what zealots of the religious reich might say - neither a "lifestyle" nor a "choice". Just wonderin' how all those divorced Baptist preachers can still say they're right with the Lord when my lesbian friends who have been in a committed relationship for over 20 years can't say the same thing.

And don't even get me started on being transgendered ...

  • On 8/23/2007 7:08 PM, Blogger cathouse teri said…

    People ridiculously apply old testament rules to life. Those rules applied to death. There was also a law given by Moses that rebellious children were to be stoned to death. So when someone throws out that the BIBLE says that a man should not lie with a man, etc, just say, "Have you stoned your rebellious son?"

     
  • On 8/23/2007 7:26 PM, Blogger soccer mom in denial said…

    Didn't a minister in Atlanta beat his minister wife this week? And then don't get me started on the gay minister in Colorado.

    Flipping hypocrits! Bet all their darling daughters get abortions too.

     
  • On 8/23/2007 7:36 PM, Blogger Jen said…

    Not only do folks follow this craziness, but they find loopholes to get what they want by going around it. Hence divorce isn't a sin but homosexuality is. Can you sing Henery the 8th I am I yam?

    It's still whomever is in charge. BTW... did you read Cable Girl's thing today? It was hysterical - I passed it on to SMID already. I think you'd like it!

     
  • On 8/23/2007 8:39 PM, Blogger Nancy said…

    I think through out the years, organized religions create and rewrite their (their being the operative word here) beliefs deemed necessary to control the masses.

     
  • On 8/23/2007 9:03 PM, Blogger none said…

    I agree with nancy

     
  • On 8/23/2007 11:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My father was a minister most of his life. These are just a few reasons he isn't anymore.

     
  • On 8/24/2007 11:58 AM, Blogger Howard said…

    *cough*cough*hypocrisy*cough*cough*

     
  • On 8/24/2007 12:24 PM, Blogger Weekends Off said…

    I completely agree! Quite honestly, it is because of things like this, that I haven't stepped foot in a church in a long while.

    I do my thing at home with God though, I haven't given Him up, just the hypocrites.

     
  • On 8/27/2007 10:12 AM, Blogger CableGirl said…

    In a word? Hypocrisy.

    Freaking pisses me off to no end.

     
  • On 8/29/2007 2:32 PM, Blogger Jenn in Holland said…

    No! Please get started!
    I would love to hear that rant too!
    This one is one I have uttered many times myself...

     
  • On 8/31/2007 4:31 PM, Blogger SoulPony said…

    I can't figure out with their logic how they let those divorced people still take part. They need to ban them. Oh, but then there'd be no one in church.

     
  • On 8/31/2007 9:05 PM, Blogger Sherri said…

    I'm with Nancy and weekends off.

    Let's see now...gluttony is a sin and the Bible says all sin is the same. No one is sin-i-er than the other. Why is it everyone goes to Shoney's after church and eats chicken strips and strawberry pie until they puke and that's all good?

    I have so much to say about this, I'd better stop or I'll say it. I miss church and all that it once was to me, but I can't abide the hypocrisies any more.

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to Front Page