Yes, she's strange and different...but not THAT different.

22 August 2007

My hero!

First, thanks to everyone who offered remote support and hugs and kisses and advice following my previous post. Second, everything is OK vehicle-wise now. The tire wasn't repairable because the sidewall separated (I had already tried the Fix-A-Flat route, Diesel) so I had to buy a new tire. The spare looks like someone took a knife to to it and isn't repairable, either, but I'm not replacing it because it looks like we'll be replacing the whole vehicle in the near future. So, right now, the vehicle is down off the jack and ready to roll. The only remaining problem is getting two vehicles home today. We've obviously got one more inning of the vehicle shuffle game to play. Oh, and third, my finger is better but it still hurts - just not drilling-teeth-with-no-novocaine hurts.

I actually wanted to offer up thanks to my hero of the day: our 1971 Dodge Charger. Her name is Betsy and she got me to the tire repair shop and to work today without any problems. Betsy (NOT named by me) has been a member of our family since she was just a skateboard; we're the original and only owners and to some in our family, she was our first child. Now, she's getting up there in age and mileage and has a few problems: power steering pump leaks, brake job needed, A/C leaks and needs to be charged with freon, headliner is torn and carpet is worn and both need to be replaced, passenger-side windshield wiper doesn't work, needs new muffler and exhaust pipes, engine and carburetor could stand to be rebuilt, crankcase ventilation pressure is too high and blows out oil, the speedometer doesn't work, the driver's door doesn't unlock from the outside, there are some minor body dings and a new paint job would be nice. But, she's got somewhere over half a million miles on her (odometer doesn't work any more, either), she's 36 years old but she's still honkin' on. After sitting in our garage for almost 3 months and serving mainly as a place to stack yard working implements, last night I went out, put a quart of oil in her and cranked her up. A little smoke, a few coughs and she was her old purrin' panther self. She's got some problems but who doesn't when you get to her age? Today she saved my ass and she's my hero.


Click the pic to see Betsy in the parking lot at the office

  • On 8/22/2007 3:46 PM, Blogger none said…

    Nice car!

    Old cars with minor issues are my favorite. They just need someone who understand them :)

     
  • On 8/22/2007 7:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We had a car named Betsy when I was a kid! Your Betsy looks pretty good, all things considered. I'm glad she was there for you.

     
  • On 8/22/2007 8:43 PM, Blogger cathouse teri said…

    I have never named a car, but I have a name in mind or my miata. Beatrix Kiddo.

    So Betsy is 36 years old in human years, how old is that in car years? Because I know I didn't have that many problems at 36! I don't have that many problems now!

    She's pretty, though.

     
  • On 8/22/2007 8:59 PM, Blogger Jen said…

    Well, darned if she doesn't sound like a princess!

     
  • On 8/22/2007 10:23 PM, Blogger Nancy said…

    Hey, Betsy rocks!

     
  • On 8/23/2007 8:56 AM, Blogger soccer mom in denial said…

    I drove across country in a 1973 Dodge Dart in 1991 so I'm a fan of those "old" Dodges. Betsy sounds like a wonderfully reliable gem.

     
  • On 8/23/2007 11:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    For what you'd pay for a new one,
    might be better to fix up the old
    Charger? Geez, I wish I still had
    my '68 Barracuda Formula S, with that
    great 383 engine under the hood.

    PB

     
  • On 8/23/2007 12:17 PM, Blogger Jami said…

    @CT - 36 in car years is probably about 90 in people years. Like a lot of people that age, she's not as hot as she used to be, but she's still gettin' it on!

    @Hammer & PB - She can be helped and she will be. The hardest thing is finding the parts. But I have factory headliner material and carpet that will be going in soon and the speedometer and A/C are next on the list. My 11-year-old son has already laid claim to this car to take him to college, so we have to either keep Betsy in good shape or buy him a whole car in 6 or 7 years.

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to Front Page