Yes, she's strange and different...but not THAT different.

28 August 2007

Something else to worry about

According to an article now up at The Red Tape Chronicles, researchers say they've hacked car door locks. Some excerpts:
A group of computer security researchers in Israel and Belgium say they've discovered the electronic equivalent of a Slim Jim -- a way to pop the electronic door locks on most cars without ever touching them.
...carmakers are still relying on 20-year-old cryptography to keep cars safe. "I don't understand how companies sell cryptography from the 1980s."
A criminal could theoretically open hundreds of cars each day that way, stealing a treasure trove of iPods and GPS gadgets without leaving a trace. "That would be worth someone's time," Callas said. Victims "would have a hard time convincing (their) insurance companies that this had happened."
"There is not a whole lot of threat to the end consumer," he said. "A guy with a Slim Jim is a bigger threat."

  • On 8/28/2007 1:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    my solution is quite simple. it may APPEAR as though i have a beat up old corolla that no one in their right mind would want to steal, but that is only the result of many hours of investigative research on my part to determine those facts that attract/deter car thieves. if you like, i can come over and give your car my patented "rusted chassis, cracked rear-view, moldy dashboard and banged-up fender" treatment for just a fraction of the cost of an obsolete alarm system.

     
  • On 8/28/2007 2:16 PM, Blogger Jami said…

    I'm way ahead of you there! I've got my Ferrari camouflaged as a beat-up muddy Chevy pickup with a busted-out, taped-over back window, only one working headlight and bald tires.

     
  • On 8/28/2007 2:52 PM, Blogger cathouse teri said…

    I thought a Slim Jim was a yummy, greasy, beefy treat? Hehehe.

    I saw a comedian talk about the the treat vs. the lock opener. I gotta find that routine!

     
  • On 8/28/2007 7:49 PM, Blogger soccer mom in denial said…

    Great. Another thing I need to worry about. Sheesh.

     
  • On 8/29/2007 2:32 AM, Blogger none said…

    All they'll get from me is some junk mail and empty styofaom cups :)

    Of course thanks to the media for telling crooks a new way to do their jobs....

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to Front Page