Yes, she's strange and different...but not THAT different.

13 August 2007

Spin

I really don't care much for political correctness, but I accept it. Hey, I'm a member of several minorities and even I don't like to be called certain names. But I really don't like advertising spin. This little rant was brought about by reading yet another article about "subprime" mortgages. Doesn't "subprime" sound like just a little bit below the best? How about calling them what they really are? How about "really bad" or "piss-poor choice" or even "given-to-folks-who-can't-afford-to-pay" mortgages? Another couple of terms I'm REALLY tired of hearing: "sport utility vehicle" and "crossover vehicle". Damn, "crossover" is what transexuals do, not some glorified station wagon. Other terms? I've got a few, like "manufactured home" and "erectile dysfunction" and "preowned vehicle". You got any advertising spin terms that get to you ... or am I just being bitchy?

  • On 8/13/2007 6:13 PM, Blogger cathouse teri said…

    All I can say is that there are too many signs! That's why they wrote the song!

     
  • On 8/13/2007 7:03 PM, Blogger Jenn said…

    No, not bitchy...perhaps not advertising but misinterpreted terms make me nuts, too.

    "Orientals" for Asians. Oriental is a rug, not a nationality.

    "The Nazi's in WWII" when speaking of all Germany. This is annoying because Nazi is a political party, like Democrat, Republican or Green Party, only a percentage of Germans were actually Nazi's.

     
  • On 8/14/2007 8:19 AM, Blogger Jenn in Holland said…

    These are my thoughts:
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAAA!
    and, AMEN!

     
  • On 8/14/2007 9:27 AM, Blogger cathouse teri said…

    Here's one I thought of today! On my street, there is a sign that says, "Not A Through Street." This confuses some people. I think it should just say, "Dead End."

    Brian Regan says of the sign, "Blasting Zone Ahead" ~ "Shouldn't that read ROAD CLOSED? I mean, what am I supposed to do with that? Hey everyone, blasting zone ahead, put on your helmets back there!"

     
  • On 8/14/2007 12:02 PM, Blogger Jami said…

    Yeah, what does that mean: "Not A Through Street"? They're not done paving it? I admit that "Dead End" is best, but how about one that just says "See you on the way back out"?

     
  • On 8/14/2007 12:33 PM, Blogger cathouse teri said…

    Ha! Better!

     
  • On 8/14/2007 1:26 PM, Blogger Brillig said…

    Hahahahahahaha. Hilarious. Once again you've enlightened me to something I never ever thought about before.

     
  • On 8/14/2007 4:49 PM, Blogger Jen said…

    I echo Jenn.... and I also hate the term "abled" as in "dis" - differently abled, height challenged (ie. SHORT, which I am) etc. At a school where I taught we had an "ism" committee - long story there, but sheesh!!! And again, I agree that ugly terms are UGLY, but some of the euphemisms just don't take the ugliness away.

     
  • On 8/15/2007 9:39 PM, Blogger Sherri said…

    Crossover is what dead people do, Jami! Don't you watch TV? They die, cross over and then spend eternity hanging around mediums making sounds they learned in first grade.

    Medium- "Does your first name start with a 'juh' sound? No? What about a 'cuh' sound? No? How about a 'ruh' sound?"

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to Front Page