Yes, she's strange and different...but not THAT different.

27 September 2007

She's pissed? Again?

I usually just tend to cruise through the blogosphere, not calling much attention to the fact that I'm transgendered. But sometimes, things just boil over and I have to point to a couple of things that have recently occurred that REALLY piss me off (as opposed to my normal pissed off state) because I AM transgendered. I also happen to believe that they should be pissing off anyone who believes in equal rights for everyone, but maybe that's just me.

First, the 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals has ruled that transsexuals have no civil rights. In a nutshell, Krystal Etsitty was transitioning from male to female, was taking female hormones, was presenting (and apparently passing) as a woman but had not yet had SRS. She was fired because of her employer's fear that they MIGHT be sued (they hadn't been) by employees born biologically female if it were discovered Etsitty still had male genitals. So essentially Ms. Etsitty was fired because of the shape of her genitals and that was OK. What's next? "I'm sorry, but your face doesn't look quite right and someone might sue us because they think you're too ugly to work with, so we're going to have to let you go."

Second, the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA) has languished in the US Congress for years. Initially, it did not include employment protections for transgendered individuals, but the current version does include such protections. The general consensus of opinion held that the bill had a good chance of passage. Now, however, it appears that the meager spine that Congress had grown with regard to ENDA is disappearing and transgender inclusion might just get dropped from ENDA again. I guess I shouldn't be surprised since the great Congressional Democratic majority has pretty much caved and failed to deliver on any of their other election promises. And Presidential candidates? Please, don't be silly - surely you don't think they're going to say anything that's not poll-supported and sound-bite palatable. What really rankles me, though is that one of the leading proponents fighting to remove transgender inclusion from ENDA are Democrats Barney Frank and Nancy Pelosi - one of the two openly gay representatives and the Speaker of the House. Like black people who are homophobic and don't want civil rights extended to include gays, Frank is a gay man who is transphobic - and has proven that more than once. The fact is, though, that even if ENDA were to pass Congress in ANY form, there's about a 99% chance that Duhbya would veto it. So let's just see who can walk the walk and not just talk the talk. Thus far, though, there's been an awful lot of talking and very little walking.

I guess I'm just supposed to be happy with being able to watch the bus drive by instead of being thrown under it and content myself with the fact that at some point in the future I might be allowed to ride in the back. Gee, thanks. Oh, and did I mention that I'm angry?

[UPDATE - 28 Sep 07: They did it - Congress has removed transgender protections from ENDA! Updates and reactions can be viewed at Pam's House Blend.]

  • On 9/27/2007 3:51 PM, Blogger none said…

    Everyone should have the same rights and protections no matter what. I just don't see how some people are considered less worthy than others.

    I guess it's religious thing that people keep perverting to justify their hate, fear and predjudice.

     
  • On 9/27/2007 6:19 PM, Blogger cathouse teri said…

    Aw... that made me sad. I did always wonder what women think when there is a transsexual or transgender who frequents the same bathroom/locker room as they do. Do they feel like a man is seeing them naked?

    (I will NEVER get used to the naked women running around the locker room at the local gym where I swim. I mean, I don't mind stepping out of the shower, to put on my sarong, or being naked while I dress... but just walking around like not a thing is different? Can't get used to it.)

    ANYWAY, you are right to be pissed. But remember, this is sorta new to this culture. Most of these people still can't get past the part where women should wear hats to church and never be in a position of authority over a man!

    Hang ups, hang ups, hang ups.

    WE love you though, baby.

     
  • On 9/28/2007 2:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You have every right to be angry. I am, reading this. The US approach to these matters is barbaric and I see little difference between those who would see transsexuals and gay people marginalised and those who seek to destroy the West. It's all the same hate, just coming at us in slightly different flavours.

    Awful. Just awful.

    The countdown to the closing of entries for The 2nd Annual Spicy Cauldron Awards continues. Have you got your creative take on the word 'cauldron' ready yet? I suspect you could come up with something witty on a good day, hilarious on a better day or just incredibly thought-provoking!

    Last year's winners can be found here.

    Have you ever thought of emigrating? We've got many things wrong over here in the UK but you know for starters you'd have some friends if you ever decided to leave behind the Evil Empire! :-) xx

     
  • On 9/28/2007 9:38 AM, Blogger Weekends Off said…

    You do have every right to be angry, I think it's a travesty myself and I feel that every human being should have the same rights as the next. I think it's a damn crying shame. I wish I had the power alone to do something, but if there is a petition anywhere I can sign or a letter I can write point me in the right direction OK?

    Cathouse Teri- you asked " I did always wonder what women think when there is a transsexual or transgender who frequents the same bathroom/locker room as they do. Do they feel like a man is seeing them naked?"
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't feel like that at all. It doesn't phase me one bit. At a prior job, we had a person start working who was going through a sex=change to become a woman. She really kept to herself, never really spoke to anyone. The only thing us girls talked about was what great taste in shoes she had!!! We were a little envious! When she finally felt comfortable she accepted our invitations to lunch with us. I hope that our attitude made it easier for her transition.

     
  • On 9/28/2007 9:54 AM, Blogger Jami said…

    Acceptance is all any of us can hope for. As for what women think about sharing facilities with trannies - I'd be willing to bet that most women have shared restroom or locker room facilities with a transsexual woman at least once and never even knew it. So far, we haven't been required to wear a sign.

     
  • On 9/28/2007 10:50 AM, Blogger SoulPony said…

    it's not enough to be loved by all of us, your faithful readers and i understand that.

    i can't understand exclusion. how can anyone rationalize something like that.

    maybe those people should read this: The Year of Living Biblically

    we do love you though.

     
  • On 9/29/2007 9:32 AM, Blogger hotdrwife said…

    I could care less if someone is male, female or how they got to be that way. I am only interested in if you are a nice person (and you are). If I was stranded on the side of the road, I'd hope there would be a nice person rolling by to help. It wouldn't be a damn bit of difference to me about anything else.

    People are idiots.

     
  • On 9/30/2007 10:06 PM, Blogger CableGirl said…

    Ok, am I missing something? How the hell can a company fire someone for fear of possibly getting sued? And why on earth would female employees sue because there is a trans gendered employee? So am I missing something? You know, other than the fact that people are idiots and on the whole suck.

     
  • On 10/02/2007 7:47 PM, Blogger exskindiver said…

    NITSB comment
    (Not In The Same Ballpark):

    wonder if it would be unethical for, say...a hooters restaurant to fire someone for getting a breast reduction?

    or someone for being fired after a bad case of acne leaves hideous scarring?

    just wondering...

    hi jami!!!

    fight the fight, my friend.

     
  • On 10/03/2007 3:40 PM, Blogger Jen said…

    I'm so disgusted. But that's been my constant state since 2000. And before that, too. Did you hear that Vermont is try to secede? I think I'm going to move there.

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to Front Page