Yes, she's strange and different...but not THAT different.

08 November 2007

That's the ENDA that

I put off writing something about ENDA in the hopes that my anger about it would subside. It hasn't, so I'm going to post anyway. But I'm not going to invest this post with a lot of vitriol. Suffice it to say that I am very, VERY pissed about the version of ENDA that has passed the House of Representatives. Why? Because once again, I and every other person who identifies as some form of gender-variant individual have been excluded from even the meager protections offered by this ENDA. I am especially angry with Rep. Barney Frank and with the Human Rights Campaign.

I'm mad at Frank because despite the good he has done for his home state of Massachusetts, he is still a transphobic gay man way too invested in his position of white male privilege. He's the one who stripped protection for transgendered persons from ENDA. And why is it that his home state of Massachusetts, which has had full rights for gay and lesbian citizens - including marriage rights - for some time now still has no protection for transgender citizens? So much for "As soon as we get there, we'll come back for you."

And I'm mad at HRC for pulling a massive bait-and-switch operation on the transgendered community at large. Despite repeated reassurances to us trannies for months that they would never support an ENDA that did not include transgender protections, at the beginning of this week HRC gave their full support to an ENDA that did not include transgender protections. I understand that LGB folks are humans but I thought that when HRC named themselves the HUMAN Rights Campaign, they meant ALL humans. But hey, if a fully-inclusive ENDA ever did become law (which even this watered-down version won't) HRC would be out of a job, wouldn't they?

For a lot more opinions and anger and stuff, check out all the posts on ENDA at Pam's House Blend. I'm gonna stop now. But I'm still really, REALLY, REALLY pissed.

  • On 11/08/2007 2:09 PM, Blogger Charlotte Robinson said…

    Jamie I totally agree with you. Actually I think Frank needs to spend more time in his home state. BTW, check out our trailer on Gay Marriage. Produced to educate & defuse the controversy it has a way of opening closed minds & creates an interesting spin on the situation: www.OUTTAKEonline.com

     
  • On 11/08/2007 3:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jami, I'm always disappointed in our govt for their marginalization of people that don't fit their idea of what is 'right.'

    I've been dealing with agesism and sexism in Hollywood and it's hard to keep from exploding over the injustices out here. They're not allowed to ask you how old you are but then require a 'proof' of who you are which coincidentally has your DOB on it.

     
  • On 11/08/2007 3:31 PM, Blogger Howard said…

    I can't begin to imagine the various kinds of discrimination you go through, but I had a good teacher in a good friend, Ms. Markie, who recently committed suicide. This bill certainly helps me understand why she ended her life.

    I'm angry that we even have to put it into writing that any human must be protected against discrimination when it comes to working for a living in a capitalistic society.

    As much as I feel the current version is wrong, I'm still in shock that any form made it through the House in the current political climate. What I won't be shocked about is if it fails in the Senate or gets vetoed.

    If it makes you feel better, Jami, I'd be proud to have you as an employee.

     
  • On 11/08/2007 3:58 PM, Blogger Jami said…

    @Suzy - maybe we should just get out of town and take it on the road. "The Broads Abroad Tour". Or something.

    @Howard - I personally think that the numbers were there to get a transinclusive ENDA this far. No form of ENDA is going to go any further, though. Not while this President is in office.

     
  • On 11/08/2007 5:51 PM, Blogger Jen said…

    I think you were sold out. It totally sucks. Huge hugs to you.

     
  • On 11/08/2007 8:02 PM, Blogger none said…

    I'm worried about having to pass specific laws for each disenfranchised group of people. There needs to be a blanket coverage that prohibits discrimination and affirms the rights of all people. Otherwise we will be fighting the same fight over and over against these bigots.

    Barney Frank is one of the biggest sellouts of them all.

     
  • On 11/08/2007 9:33 PM, Blogger Sherri said…

    My 13 yoa son assures me this kind of thing will not happen under the watch of his generation. I may be naive, but I believe him.

     
  • On 11/09/2007 7:14 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I've worked hard for trans-inclusion in ENDA for a dozen years. I've lobbied, I've written, I've marched, I've recruited, I've donated.

    And, like you, I'm angry. But, I'm not pissed. We got screwed. Fine. What's new?

    As sad as it was, I have to say that -- as one of the people who introduced the word 'transgender' to many, many legislators it was a powerfully moving moment for me to listen to Representatives on the floor of the House debating us. I even took a moment and wrote my own blog post about it. How about that? :)

    Our time *will* come. Remember Ghandi's words. I believe them.

     
  • On 11/09/2007 9:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    @Sher: Cheers for the next generation because my generation has done nothing to help.

    @Jami: You are completely correct. The HRC sold out transgendered people like they have always done. I will tell you there are gay men and women who see the issue as clearly as you do. We need to hold people like Barney Frank and the HRC accountable. Transgenered people are part of my big gay family and I can not leave a family member out in the cold to fend for themselves.

     
  • On 11/09/2007 10:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    maybe it will take a few from the republican party being caught in the bathroom with their pants down, wearing fishnets.

    you know there are some.

    won't you be glad when one day you can open the paper and see same sex couples in the wedding section and transgender pageant winners on the front page. wouldn't that be wild if one day we could be that accepting. i can just see people in their homes picking up the paper and saying "honey look Mimi Marks won the pageant over the weekend" just like it wasn't a thing.

    i wish it was now but it will happen.

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to Front Page