Yes, she's strange and different...but not THAT different.

03 December 2007

A few things

I had to borrow a friend’s pickup truck recently, and he was very concerned that I might not be able to drive it very well. I had to reassure him that because of how much I used to travel, I probably had driven a couple of dozen different cars or trucks that were totally foreign to me. And because some of that travel was outside this country, they were quite literally foreign. He seemed to be OK with that, and I had no problems driving his truck. But the truth is that I’ve always been rather proud of an innate ability to handle machinery: big, complex, mobile machinery. In addition to a very wide variety of cars and trucks and motorcycles, I’ve driven tractor-trailers and forklifts and tanks and bulldozers and excavators, all without lessons. I even know how to drive a nuclear submarine. I realize that I didn’t tell my friend any of that, though, because I fell into the trap of seeing that ability as a “guy thing”. However, my abilities don’t change whether I’m masculine or feminine. If I don’t want other people to categorize me, then I'm thinking I damned well shouldn’t do it to myself.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I am amazed yet again at how well chocolate cake and brownies both go with Mexican beer. (Oh, yes, they do!)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Despite trips to the frozen north in the dead of winter, I’ve never seen an auroral display, and I’d really like to. I’ve never had to worry about paying taxes on a million dollars, either.

  • On 12/03/2007 6:19 PM, Blogger robkroese said…

    I was at the gas station the other day watching an old guy back a gigantic RV into a tiny little parking spot. I couldn't believe how effortlessly he did it. Then I saw another old guy trying to back up a little minivan up to the gas pump. It took him like 2 minutes and he ended up almost 8 feet away from the pump. It looked like he had just learned how to drive.

    I'm not sure what my point is.

     
  • On 12/03/2007 7:27 PM, Blogger Suzy said…

    When I was first starting standup, I got a parttime job in NYC working for a now defunct magazine called Chocolatier. They had many articles on why beer and chocolate go so well together.

    People think I'm crazy when I mention it until they try it. Works with any combo of chocolate and any kind of beer.

     
  • On 12/03/2007 7:27 PM, Blogger Sunshine said…

    Dude, EVERYTHING goes with Mexican beer!

     
  • On 12/03/2007 7:30 PM, Blogger Nancy said…

    I have seen aurora borealis while spending time n the upper peninsula of MI ... breathless.

     
  • On 12/03/2007 7:35 PM, Blogger none said…

    I can drive gigantic old jalopies but get me in a tiny car and I'm all thumbs.

    It took me 3 years to learn to drive standard.

     
  • On 12/09/2007 4:10 PM, Blogger Jen said…

    chocolate marble cheesecake is also awesome with any good beer. It was my late night eats of choice as a young 'un.

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to Front Page