Yes, she's strange and different...but not THAT different.

14 February 2008

V D

Yes, once again that special day that commemorates the death of a priest who fell in love with a young woman while in jail for performing illegal marriages is upon us. It's Valentine's Day.
[OK, while that is one origin myth, no one is really sure how the holiday got started, but my guess is that the Hallmark Company figures into it somehow.]
I got my sweetie a card and a Japanese maple tree (which she will help me plant). She got me a card and chocolate (which she will help me eat). We also got each of the kids a card and a book and box of their favorite cereal. (Because nothing says "I love you" like Cocoa Krispies and Strawberry Frosted Shredded Wheat.) And we might all go out to eat tonight if the places we like aren't all swamped with lovebirds. And the kids get their homework done. Yeah, we're romantics - or at least as romantic as people who have been together almost 40 years and have two kids under the age of 13 can be. So what did y'all get? Or give?

  • On 2/14/2008 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You got VD for Valentine's Day? Well, doesn't that suck?

    Oh, I read that wrong. Cool.

    We are low on funds, trying to get the business going (art gallery/framing business) and so, we're being cheap. No big presents. Plus we're dieting which sucks all kinds of ass on holidays (or any other day).

    I didn't get anything yet, we're still at work so tonight is officially Valentine's Day. But I got Mickey Mouse magic pen coloring books for the kids (those magic pens that make invisible pictures and words appear) but no candy because they will be getting loads of it at school today. Plus my son doesn't like candy. Isn't that weird?

    For us (we share our gifts too), I'm going to fix a really nice -albeit not too fattening- dinner. And for later, we will be having some Bernie Bott's Beans because I NEED to know what vomit-flavored jelly beans taste like and some really good German beer that I can't pronounce. I don't care how many calories it is. I like my beer. Oh, and a cheap bouquet of carnations. Because I'm classy like that.

    Tonight, we'll be snuggled on the couch watching some Torchwood and I'll say "Hon! Pass me a booger-flavored bean. And I'm drinking your beer too. *Mwah!*"

     
  • On 2/14/2008 2:12 PM, Blogger Sai Hijara - Ferraris said…

    Wow...happy for you!

    And yes, I join you in the romantic circle...I got a dozen of roses, dinner with bf, then fireworks! ;)

    Happy Valentine's Day!

     
  • On 2/14/2008 2:35 PM, Blogger Jami said…

    Good beer is GOOD. Boogers and vomit - not so much.

     
  • On 2/14/2008 4:03 PM, Blogger heels said…

    I made my husband a card and gave him a "coupon" for 2 1/2 hour massages from me, which he can redeem together or on two separate occasions. He seemed pretty happy with that.

    I don't know what he got me yet, as FedEx still hasn't delivered. Apparently, from the hints I have gotten, it is something cheap and practical rather than classically romantic. That's my kind of present! Way to help us keep paying that mortgage, babe, so we can continue to have a place of our own to have sex!

     
  • On 2/14/2008 9:06 PM, Blogger Jen said…

    I made D and C a special dinner where we all chose something we liked:
    butternut squash ravioli for D
    artichokes for me
    chocolate-covered strawberries for C
    and fresh shrimp, because it was on sale and we all love it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to Front Page