Yes, she's strange and different...but not THAT different.

26 February 2008

You can't spell LGBT with HRC

HRC is not LGBT
Given HRC's push for non-inclusion of T with L G and B in ENDA

  • On 2/26/2008 7:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jami, here in Chi-town we've been givin' our local hrc (they really DON'T deserve caps anymore) fundraiser-bots (aka: "steering commitee") headaches for their "ve vere only following orders" (say it with a German accent) rubbish.

    Meanwhile, I just read a piece about how most of the Dems in NYC suddenly had "scheduling conflicts" that prevented them from attending hrc's "lavish gala" to hear more of jivin' Joe's bullshit.

    Fascinating.

    Yes, I was there at SCC to hear Joe's "first edition" up close and personal, and I won't let my folks here forget it.

    On another note, please take a minute to check the comments from your "New Pics" post. I had a question for you over there.

    Thanks Jami. You rock. >>>(all respect, no restraint) Cyndi

     
  • On 2/26/2008 9:44 PM, Blogger Jami said…

    Thanks, Cyndi - you rock, too!
    (And there should be an answer in your inbox by now.)

     
  • On 2/27/2008 7:28 AM, Blogger DeniseUMLaw said…

    I have a serious dilemna, and I would *really* appreciate any comments or suggestions about how to resolve it.

    Each year, my Girl and I sponsor a hole and play in our local women's golf outing. The golf outing is organized by and benefits our state's only LGBT advocacy group, Triangle Foundation. However, the golf outing was initially started by HRC and the lead volunteer in putting it together is affiliated with HRC. Consequently, they (HRC) get 50% of the proceeds.

    I *HATE* that any of my money would go to support HRC. However, I am committed to supporting Triangle in any way that I can (I was also just named to the Board of Trustees).

    This is a major fundraiser for Triangle. And, to make matters slightly more complicated, it's a terrific marketing opportunity for our firm.

    I know that boycotting the outing will not hurt HRC in any way. Indeed, the only ones hurt by it will likely be us, and to a lesser extent, Triangle. But, the principle of supporting an event that gives (any) money to HRC gnaws at me.

    I'd love to hear your thoughts and your readers' thoughts!

     
  • On 2/27/2008 3:49 PM, Blogger Jen said…

    Okay, so this is not eloquent. In your blog it always says, "Your thoughts?" Here are my thoughts on the non-inclusion: it. sucks.

     
  • On 2/27/2008 6:51 PM, Blogger FriĆ°vin said…

    This is another reason I quit supporting the hrc. And a damn proud reason.

    The first reason was because I got fucking tired of invitations to black-tie galas. Fuck that shit.

    And fuck the hrc.

     
  • On 2/27/2008 8:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Jami,

    So far, my personal inbox has not been graced with your loverly cyber-presence. (8:48pm CST)

    When you get a minute, try again. Thanks. >>> Cyndi

     
  • On 2/28/2008 12:42 PM, Blogger Jenn in Holland said…

    hmmm. Going to echo the other Jen on this one. It. Sucks.

     
  • On 2/29/2008 10:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just can't comprehend it. I used to support HRC and... what... what the hell?

    I just don't know what else to say. Seriously, I'm speechless.

    Eh, rainbows are prettier than two yellow lines anyway...

     
  • On 3/01/2008 4:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    In a recent conversation that I had with Ms Mara Keisling (perhaps you've heard of her?) over a couple of cool beverages, an interesting point was raised.

    The nation's largest (and arguably most over-funded) LGBT group is not so much an "organization", per se, as it is a marketing strategy, and obviously a damn good one.

    Although they have repeatedly proven themselves to be disingenuous rat bastards, collectively speaking (yeah, I know there are still some decent folks that cling to the blindly optimistic hope that things will change in the "ivory tower" on Rhode Island Ave.), they have indeed not reached the level they're at without some well-crafted marketing of a cause which is not theoretically "universal" in it's acceptance.

    My question is, what lesson can the trans-community learn from this reality?

    Food for thought.

    BTW - Denise, perhaps an "accidentally" well-placed golf-ball soundly driven into the appropriate orifice of a local hrc-bot might get your point across without jeapordizing Triangle's interests? I mean, what the hell, stranger things have happened, right? Look at Mr. Cheney's last "hunting" expedition.

    TEE-HEE

    BTW2 - Jami, I am SO still waiting to hear from you.

    >>> (all respect, no restraint) Cyndi

     
  • On 3/01/2008 10:51 PM, Blogger Jami said…

    @Cyndi - I have absolutely NO idea WTF is going on with trying to get email thru to you. Last night (Friday) I re-re-sent a reply to both your direct address and your group admin address. How about this? YOU send ME a message and I'll reply and HOPEFULLY that will get through. My email address is JamiWard at weirdness dot com
    And I do vaguely remember somebody named Mara being an MC at the SCC talent show one year. Is that her? :)

     
  • On 3/02/2008 7:06 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Thanks, Cyndi! I'll keep that idea in mind. I have to decide by tomorrow. I think I'm going to have to sponsor/play this golf outing. But, truthfully, I just can't stand HRC.

     
  • On 3/02/2008 10:37 AM, Blogger Jami said…

    @Denise - for the greater good, I'd suck it up and go on with the co-sponsored event this year but start making plans now to go it alone next year.
    See you on the 13th!

    @Cyndi - and have you checked your spam folder on Yahoo?

     
  • On 3/03/2008 6:23 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Thanks, Jami. I think I'll take that advice.

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to Front Page