Yes, she's strange and different...but not THAT different.

11 March 2008

I'm excited

(No, not like that, you perverts. Not right now, anyway.)

I am excited for a couple of reasons. First, my long-time friend Denise (notice that I didn't say "old" friend because she's younger than me) is going to be in town in two days to lecture med students about LGBT legal things and then she and I are going to dinner! It's been about two years since I've seen her, and I'm REALLY looking forward to our visit.

Second, I am supposed to be getting my missing front tooth re-installed this afternoon - just about two hours from now, in fact. It has been a real ordeal to get this replacement put in, although not in a physical sense. The tooth got broken off by the air bag's deployment when I was in a car wreck at the end of 2006. Since then, it has been a seemingly endless round of hassles between dentists, oral surgeons and three different insurance companies. How much? Where's the paperwork? Who pays for what? Where's the paperwork? What happened when? Where's the paperwork? But, hopefully, finally all that shit will be over with, and I will be able to smile again without displaying what my kids have fondly come to call "The Great Notch". I hate to take away some of my kids' fun, but hey, it's my mouth.

[UPDATE - 4 hours later: I am very, VERY, VERY upset! And disappointed. The Great Notch still lives. In other words, no new tooth yet. Apparently the dental lab making the visible part to fit on the post implanted in my jaw IN OC-FUCKING-TOBER fucked up and didn't use the right kind of matrix to build the tooth on. My dentist likened it to ordering a Lexus and getting a Chevy - kinda cheap and not at all compatible. So, I'm pissed, she's pissed and embarrassed about her lab; but the kids are happy because they can still make fun of me. I'll find out tomorrow after the dentist reams out speaks with her lab when I actually will get the RIGHT tooth.

And Denise - you BETTER be here day after tomorrow!]

  • On 3/11/2008 3:31 PM, Blogger none said…

    Insurance companies usually seem crooked and or inept.

    Good luck at the dentist!

     
  • On 3/11/2008 4:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Have fun with Denise!! And good luck with the dentist. Oh, I sooo know about how insurance won't pay for shit and they like to confuse you until they practically drive you into the nut house. Oh, I know! One of my battles for was getting my insurance company to pay for my daughter's well baby check up and shots. Nothing weird about it at all, they just wouldn't pay and wouldn't tell me WHY they wouldn't pay. So, for a year we fought them. We could have just paid the bill, it wasn't THAT high but it was the principle of the whole thing. We won, eventually.

    Fortunately we have a new insurance company now that seems to be a heck of a lot better. No big problems thus far.

    And I expect pics soon, babe ;)

     
  • On 3/11/2008 5:48 PM, Blogger soccer mom in denial said…

    YEAH for new teeth. It is so important that you feel comfortable with your smile and face.

    Boo insurance companies. They are jerks.

     
  • On 3/11/2008 7:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ohhhhhhhhhhhh. Just read your update. I'm sorry.

    Fuck. We should have become the doctors that we always wanted to be because my GOD, smart people like us need to replace the MORONS that are in the medical profession!!! When I was in the hospital giving birth to my son, they almost forgot to give me an injection and could have put me in serious medical jeopardy, possibly death. Good thing I educated myself on medical procedures and such for my conditions because otherwise, holy hell could have occurred. I spoke up and said, "Uh, don't I need this injection? I read about this, blah blah blah" And they were like, "Whoooops, you're right. Thanks for reminding us." Fuckers.

     
  • On 3/12/2008 9:48 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I'll be there -- and I promise not to make fun of the Great Notch! Well, OK, not too much fun! :)

    Love you, Jami, and I'm excited to see you! Damn, has it been 2 years?!?

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to Front Page