Yes, she's strange and different...but not THAT different.

24 March 2008

What? You wanted equal rights?

According to an article in the Massachusetts Sun Chronicle, the United States Department of State has denied a gay Massachusetts man a new passport in his married name because the federal Defense of Marriage Act (thanks for that, Mr. Clinton!) does not recognize the fact that he is married, although the state he lives in thinks he is. The state's Registry of Motor Vehicles had no problem changing the name on his driver's license, and apparently even the federal Social Security Administration changed his name on his Social Security card. But not the State Department. I could see if he wanted to change his marital status on his passport, but his name? If he were single and simply wanted to change his name, would the State Department have allowed him to do that? Or is he simply guilty of being not-heterosexual and wanting the same rights that they have?

  • On 3/24/2008 11:18 PM, Blogger Suzy said…

    He has to get a lawyer and have his name changed through that system. Since I never use my legal last name, I've been through so much crap with it but the name change is a couple grand and has to go through a lawyer.

    Oh, and no one has the right to ask if you're married or not. He should keep his mouth shut because we all know that law is not going to change under any president, like it or not.

  • On 3/25/2008 8:57 AM, Blogger Jen of A2eatwrite said…

    FWIW, I had to legally change my name after marriage to get my passport issued under the new name.

    But I think that was because (long, long story) I changed my name two years after we got married. (To add on my DH's last name - for legal reasons... again, long story).


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Back to Front Page