Yes, she's strange and different...but not THAT different.

16 April 2008

Miss Cellania

Sorry about the lack of posts. I can't even honestly offer up the excuse that I've been working too much to post anything because while I have been working, it hasn't been that hard. No, it would appear that I'm suffering from some sort of creative constipation. Maybe I need more brain bran or need to drink more water or something. So, until I'm mentally regular again, intermittent little pieces like this will be the best I can produce.

Speaking of my blog, (Yes I was! Pay attention!) I got to wondering how it should be classified ... or even if it should. It's not a mommy blog or a political blog or a GLBT blog or a poetry blog or a photo blog or a humor blog - although I've done pieces with all those themes. What do you think? Classify? Don't classify? Just read it?

Joke from my 12-year-old son: "How do you get an elephant into Subway if he wants to buy a sandwich? Give up? OK, here's a clue: take the 's' out of 'sub' and the 'f' out of 'way'." At which point you're supposed to say, "Hey. There's no 'f' in 'way'." And he replies, "You're right. He's too effin' big."

I appear to be stuck between 165 and 168 pounds in my effort to get my weight down under 160. I've been in that range for almost a month. Now that it's warm outside, I'm afraid that my excuse for not going out and skating at lunch again has disappeared. Hopefully, the exercise will do it because I'm not going to cut back on my current levels of food intake. Or drink intake.

Why can't clothing manufacturers decide how women's pants with zippers in the front will zip? More than closing from the bottom to the top, that is. I've probably got a dozen pairs of pants with zippers in the front, which means that there is a cover over the zipper, just as there is on men's pants. But while men's pants all have that cover opening to the right (like men's shirt buttons), some women's pants open to the right and some open to the left (like women's blouse buttons). All the jeans I have open to the right and the slacks are about 50/50 on which side they open. It was hard enough for me to retrain myself to button up top buttons with the opening to the left, and I really don't want to have an urgent restroom moment where I can't get my pants off fast enough because the zipper doesn't open the way I thought it did. I don't care which way they open, but I really wish it was consistent.

In the car yesterday on the way home from school, my son informed me that this summer he wants to get green highlights in his hair. (He's had blonde / yellow highlights before. Hey, it's only hair.) However, because his hair is a dark auburn with copper overtones, I told him I didn't think green would look all that good with his hair or his complexion. He thought a minute and then decided that I was probably right. Now he's decided that he wants either pink or red highlights. He has to pay for the highlighting and he can't have them while he's in school because the school doesn't allow it. But aside from that, it's his hair.

Now, where's my bottle of Evian?

  • On 4/16/2008 5:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Why label yourself? It's a good blog. A fun blog. Yay! That's all that matters. But since you asked, you seem like a funny, fun, open-minded mom living in the south with a bit of a dirty mind. Which I just love ;)

    Ok, it's an pan-conceptual blog. I don't know if that's another word I made up or not but it works (I consider myself pansexual and pantheistic, by the way). Shit, I guess I did label myself. Well, at least it's a "label" that hints that there are no labels. Or something.

    Um, on topic. Ok. Guess what babe? you weigh the same as me! I am at 169-168 now (and still losing). That isn't bad. Seriously. I notice that I'm getting second looks from lots of people in the mall, at the grocery store, etc. Kinda nice! I think the added confidence boost helps too. Confidence will get you everywhere, I'm a firm believer in that.

     
  • On 4/16/2008 5:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    And psst... I'm not cutting down my drink intake either. Two a day is asking a lot from me. Two a day isn't a "Leaving Las Vegas" amount and it keeps me sane when I come home from work.

    Of course, I'll go over that on occasion, but I try to have will power. Most days.

     
  • On 4/16/2008 6:15 PM, Blogger Jen said…

    two words for you: Kool Aid. It'll give him those highlights, but they'll wash out in a week or so, in case he doesn't like them. My middle school students used to do it all the time.

    And why categorize the blog? It's great the way it is.

     
  • On 4/16/2008 7:50 PM, Blogger none said…

    One of my friends who was about 17 at the time decided he wanted blue hair.

    His mom was a hairdresser but refused to do it so I bought him the flavoraid drink mix.

    It looked washed out but it satisfied his urge to look different.

     
  • On 4/17/2008 11:22 AM, Blogger Jami said…

    @1l1l - At 5'10" tall, a weight of 167 is OK, especially when you consider that I started out at 190. But I was really shooting for 160 or less because a) I know I can get there because I was recently there for more than a few years, and b) I know that 157/158 is a good weight for me, both health-wise and appearance-wise.

    And I'm definitely going to recommend the Kool-Aid highlights.

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to Front Page