Yes, she's strange and different...but not THAT different.

21 May 2008

Bummer, dude

After doing a lot of work on the design of our house, being intimately involved in all phases of its construction and then living in it for over 20 years, we're pretty familiar with it. We're so familiar with it that most of the time if we happen to be walking around in the house after bedtime, we don't turn on any lights; we know where everything is. It creeps the kids out that I can go downstairs in the middle of the night, get something from the kitchen and come back up to one of their rooms with it, all in total darkness. Although some of that creepiness may just be due to a general kid's fear of the dark. Of course, all of that walking-in-the-dark stuff works if there aren't movable impediments left in the major walkways through the house. (Can you see where this is going?)

The other night my daughter was having a nightmare and was crying out in the middle of the night. Without turning on any lights, I got out of bed to go comfort her (stroking her hair works very well) and was traversing the room when I kicked something very hard in the middle of our bedroom floor. The reflex reaction to that was to jerk my leg up and back, bending my knee very quickly ... bending my AILING left knee, which it is not liking to do very much yet. Let's recap for a moment: daughter fretting in her sleep, big toe hurting like hell, knee hurting even worse, dead quiet in the middle of the night except for the sound of loud muffled swearing alternating with suppressed screaming and moaning and vowing to KILL whoever left THAT.FUCKING.THING.IN.THE.MIDDLE.OF.THE.FLOOR! I recovered enough mobility to continue on to my daughter's room and comfort her back into peaceful sleep. I then returned to our room and turned on the closet light in order to see just what kind of rock it was that I had kicked so I would know just who to yell at in the morning.

And who the hell had left the bigass vacuum cleaner in the middle of the bedroom floor because she was interrupted in cleaning and swore she would finish later and then put it away? Oh, that would have been me. So, shit - busted a toenail and didn't get to yell at anybody. Bummer.

  • On 5/21/2008 4:47 PM, Blogger exskindiver said…

    ooooh. that sounds like me.
    bummer is right.
    poor toe.

     
  • On 5/22/2008 9:20 AM, Blogger cathouse teri said…

    Yeah, the whole walking in the dark thing works as long as everyone (including YOU) is in the habit of making sure the walkways are clear before lights go out! :)

    My mother grew up in an old house like that. But she, as a young teen, would always turn on the bathroom light when using it in the middle of the night. Her mother would say to her, "Why do you have to turn the light on? Can't you find your twat?"

     
  • On 5/24/2008 6:09 AM, Blogger DeniseUMLaw said…

    Bummer, dude.

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to Front Page