Yes, she's strange and different...but not THAT different.

05 May 2008

NOT for the arachnophobic!

In our garage lives some tiny livestock, including some geckos, some anoles, some daddy-long-legs, and various other spiders and bugs. The lizards keep a lot of the bugs in check but I think that most of the hunting that takes place in our garage is done by Annie Arachnid.

Annie lives here and has for the past three years. And BTW, "here" is immediately to the right of the back door to the house - the door we go in and out all day, every day - and behind a wall-mounted cabinet. Those are the grease-stained light switches for the garage lights and the control switches for the garage door openers you see.

Annie is a wolf spider ... or at least I'm pretty sure she is. I do know the only web she spins is the meager stuff you see in these shots. She's female because we've seen her carrying an egg sac in two different years. She only comes out at night to hunt and does a pretty good job of keeping the other spiders and such under control. I have even found little mummified geckos on the floor under her hole, so she's probably eliminating some of her competition, too.

She's actually rather pretty but she's shy and she's fast. In three years, this is the first time I've managed to get some shots of her. And she really does have eight legs but her right rear leg is under her and hooked over the edge of the hole in this shot. She must like it with us because she's stuck around and has grown up. In fact she's so big now that I had to cover over part of the motion detector on the garage door opener that turns on the light on the opener because she kept setting it off in the dark when she came out of her den. (It took me a while to figure out that the opener's motion detector was not messed up but was actually working just a little too well.)

Can you tell that no one in our house is arachnophobic?

(And as always, you can click it to big it with any of the pictures.)

  • On 5/05/2008 5:43 PM, Blogger heels said…

    No, clicking to make it bigger is NOT going to happen, but thanks anyway!

     
  • On 5/05/2008 8:45 PM, Blogger She says said…

    You mean it wasn't already clicked?

    Eeeeuw.

    You are a better woman than I. This skeezes me out. I'm not saying I'd eliminate Annie if she lived in my garage, if I had a garage, but I don't know that I could celebrate her either.

    I think I'd just avoid her.

    Good for you, though. And good for Annie that she lives in your space. You are one tolerant person.

     
  • On 5/05/2008 9:56 PM, Blogger Landlady of Fat said…

    That's a frickin' AWESOME spider!! LOLOL

     
  • On 5/05/2008 10:09 PM, Blogger cathouse teri said…

    I love spiders! I LOVE Annie! Yeah, wolfies are scary, but they ain't gonna hurt ya.

     
  • On 5/06/2008 12:23 PM, Blogger Jen said…

    We have a fair number of wolf spiders at various times of the year. I don't have the same affection for them that you do for Annie. I will generally leave them alone if they leave me alone.

    And which IS your fave Timbuk3 album?

     
  • On 5/06/2008 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    HOLY... HOLY... WHOA! They grow 'em big in the South, huh?! Jeez!

    Don't get me wrong. I respect all wildlife. I work at an animal shelter. But certain things give me the creeps sometimes and a spider that big would freak me out! I think I could dig becoming distant "friends" with one. Heck, I can't bring myself to kill ants in my house half the time.

    That's actually quite cool that she's been there that long. But I know I'd squeal every time she'd pop out. We had harmless snakes living under our porch where I used to live and, while we were ok with them being there, it'd freak me out if they were out and about.

    Embiggening the pic... Ahhhhhh!!!!!!

     
  • On 5/06/2008 4:04 PM, Blogger none said…

    Thats a bigun!

    They are great at keeping the nasty bugs away but I'm not sure if I would want the offspring swarming through my house ;)

     
  • On 5/06/2008 11:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Re: Your comment on GAM; am I mistaken or are fire ants full of FORMIC and not folic acid? I keep poison frogs as a hobby, and the lethal toxins are primarily neuro (batrachotoxin) based, and they get the concentrations from venomous ants.

    --Sid Vicious (jcheatham@hotmail.com)

     
  • On 5/09/2008 4:49 PM, Blogger Jenn in Holland said…

    Oh, I love your Annie. Before I bigified that last shot, I really thought she was diamond encrusted around her abdomen and I was wondering how she or you had the patience for the "blinging" of her legs. Clearly, I must be jet lagged, since I am seeing things...

     
  • On 5/09/2008 10:58 PM, Blogger Jami said…

    Damn! I should have recognized a prime example of the Texas Bling Spider!

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to Front Page