Yes, she's strange and different...but not THAT different.

20 May 2008

Scary

According to a new article at Wired, while 32% of 900 surveyed high school biology teachers said that creationism and intelligent design should be taught as scientifically UNsound, fully 12% of the teachers not only teach creationism alongside or even instead of evolution but truly believe that it is a "valid scientific alternative to Darwinian explanations for the origin of species". Still. That's scary, if for no other reason than it potentially aids in robbing one kid in eight of the ability to think critically.

And how much do you want to bet that one of those places where the biology teachers put down Darwin is Pasco County, Florida's Rushe Middle School?

  • On 5/20/2008 9:05 PM, Blogger soccer mom in denial said…

    The kids and I settled down for one of those nature channel type shows about the origins of life and it quickly turned into a creationism vs. evolution piece.

    "Crap" I think. Because then the questions begin.

    My response? I use the word I forbid them from using - "People that don't believe in evolution are stupid."

    To which my husband snarls from the kitchen "Let the kids come up with their own opinions".

    Nope. They don't have the option of an opinion in this case. Because normal smart intelligent rational HUMANS believe in evolution.

    Freaks from the 13th century believe in creationism or whatever silly thing they call it.

    O.k. I'll put away my soap box now.

    Thank goodness I live in the Communist State of MA. I barely have to deal with this sh*t.

     
  • On 5/21/2008 12:47 AM, Blogger cathouse teri said…

    Well. I'm thinking I may be in the stupid category here. I very much believe in "creationism and intelligent design." However, I also believe there has been and is an evolutionary process.

    I agree that children should come to their own conclusions. But really... as parents... do we let them? We tell them what is right and what is wrong. And later, they figure... "Hey! I'm not sure that stuff is true!"

    They do come to a place where they choose to embrace or not to embrace what their parents believe. It's called growing up.

    I personally think Evolution, as it is presented scholastically, should definitely be taught as a theory. I think that creationism should definitely be taught as an alternative theory. They are certainly both angles that kids need to know are real and true in the hearts and minds of the people they will meet.

    I also think they should be shown some of the beliefs of other cultures. Each culture has their own creation story. American Indian folklore is full of fantastic things. And it's never a bad thing to have a larger world view.

    I am not at all convinced that there is complete and true evidence that backs up the general view of the basic evolutionist.

    And it is a firm belief of mine that whatever idea you choose to follow, it requires faith. None of them stands alone with no room for doubt.

     
  • On 5/21/2008 9:04 AM, Blogger Jen said…

    So depressing.

     
  • On 5/24/2008 6:24 AM, Blogger DeniseUMLaw said…

    Woof. But, then, there are people who actually believe in some omnipotent god too. As Einstein said, it's a childish superstition. And, as you said - scary.

    On a related note, I had to laugh at the link -- and sent it to my daughter who is Wiccan (go figure!) and a school teacher in Pasco County! ROFLMAO!

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to Front Page