Yes, she's strange and different...but not THAT different.

11 June 2008

Equal time

[Because I posted about Fireball's little quip yesterday, I figured I'd at least give Pink Guy equal time. The following brief exchange occurred with the entire family in the car on the way to the grocery store.]

Son: "Now that I'm taking care of {Neighbor}'s animals while they're on vacation, I've decided that I want to have a bunch of cats when I get my own place."

Mother: "Why would you want to do that? Our two seem like they're plenty, don't they?"

S: "Yeah, but I really like cats. I want a bunch. And then my friends could call me 'Cat Man'."

M: "Cat Man? Is that some sort of Batman wannabe?"

S: "No. Just Cat Man. But that way if someone asks you if you know someone who has a lot of cats, you can say, 'Cat Man do'."

[My kids are adopted. That's never been a secret at our house, but we parents have always felt a vague uneasiness about the kids ability to deal with it while they're young. Based on the following, they might be doing OK.]

At the grocery store, someone's parents are acting up, laughing, borderline misbehaving and in general embarrassing their 12-year-old son. After a few minutes, the son off-handedly says to his sister - loud enough for us parents to hear, "Just keep telling yourself that it's going to be OK. Remember, we're adopted."

  • On 6/11/2008 5:28 PM, Blogger cathouse teri said…

    Such sweet babes. :)

     
  • On 6/11/2008 5:40 PM, Blogger Heidi said…

    I used to remind myself I was adopted too. Although, my parents were both crazy, mom still is. I, on the other hand am completely normal. heh heh.

     
  • On 6/11/2008 6:09 PM, Blogger Nancy said…

    That was good thinking on his part.

    I love the grocery store story too!

     
  • On 6/11/2008 10:50 PM, Blogger Suzy said…

    I guess it's pretty clear they're well adjusted kids. Maybe they can give you guys some tips?

     
  • On 6/12/2008 9:06 AM, Blogger Jen said…

    Jami... adopted or not, I think Pink Guy inherited your sense of humor (or vice versa).

    SO funny.

     
  • On 6/12/2008 9:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was the same way, I wanted 5 dogs. Exactly 5 dogs when I "grew up". Then I got two cats and two kids and a husband. And the 5 of them was like having 5 dogs. So. Good enough!

    My daughter thinks she's a dog too and will lick my cheek out of the blue.

    My husband will lick too but he'll lick pretty much anything.

    And the adopted comment - priceless!

     
  • On 6/12/2008 11:39 AM, Blogger cathouse teri said…

    I would totally call him Cat Man.

     
  • On 6/12/2008 7:26 PM, Blogger hotdrwife said…

    Yay for adoption jokes! They are never old between my brother and myself, all these years later.

     
  • On 6/15/2008 9:46 AM, Blogger none said…

    Cat man! Hehe. My kids are adopted too but they still think they are going to inherit my traits.

     
  • On 6/17/2008 6:38 AM, Blogger DeniseUMLaw said…

    Cat man do. I hate to admit this, but I saw that coming. Sheesh.

    Adopted or not, I think he *does* inherit things from you!

     
  • On 6/17/2008 8:01 AM, Blogger Jenn in Holland said…

    Yup, told you they were funny!

     
  • On 1/02/2011 2:31 AM, Anonymous Kris said…

    Cat Man do?

    Snort!

    As for the other?

    My daughters have dreamed aloud of having been adopted so that these parents of theirs? Might not actually be genetically linked to them. Snort!

    Mark and I are all sorts of embarrassing and humiliating.

    Their REAL parents are way cooler.

    The girls are certain.

    Hee hee!

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to Front Page