Yes, she's strange and different...but not THAT different.

14 July 2008

Sooo? How'd it go?

The surgery on my knee went very well. At least, that's what the doctor told me and I just have to take his word for the fact that it's all fixed. Because it's all covered up with a great big bandage, for all I know they just knocked me out, whacked my knee few times with a big hammer and then slapped on a bandage. It sure feels like somebody beat the shit out of it and I can see some purple peeking out from the bottom of the bandage. It does hurt but not so much now that I need the heavy-duty prescription painkillers. Because while those guys may kill the pain, they also apparently immobilize my bowels. And since I'm not fond of taking a dump that feels like giving birth to a beer keg, I try to avoid the pain meds. Speaking of beer, I have found that 2 ibuprofen and 2 beers every 4 hours works just as well at keeping the pain under control, so that's what I've prescribed for myself.

Right now I'm semi-mobile. I can put weight on my knee but I cannot move it. The doctor gave me crutches but I'm not using them. I'm just hobbling around with my left knee stiff. The bandages help with that because they're so thick that I can't move it much anyway. I won't know what it looks like under the bandages until Friday of this week when I go back to get them removed or changed or whatever. I'll take pictures if it's gross, just to have something to post here. (And don't give me that - I know y'all want to see it!) Because of my immovable knee and resulting stiff leg, my biggest problems at the moment are getting in and out of the car and going up and down stairs. Thank the gods that I'm limber enough to bend over and tie my shoes and put on my underwear. I don't want to be "Excuse me, but could you pull up my panties?" in the restroom, you know.

I'll let you know what transpires as things develop. Next on the pain agenda: Physical Therapy!

  • On 7/14/2008 3:32 PM, Blogger none said…

    I hope the worst is over. I agree beer and ibuprofen are a great together.

    I wish you a speedy recovery and here's a hint, keep a bent clothes hanger with you to help with up the skivvies. Don't ask how I know this ;)

     
  • On 7/14/2008 3:49 PM, Blogger Howard said…

    Hooray! I'm glad it's over and you can start to heal. Very glad things went well.

     
  • On 7/14/2008 4:15 PM, Blogger Jesse said…

    Glad things went well! Hope you have a speedy recovery. I hear ya on the restroom thing. That wouldn't be fun.

    Rest up!

     
  • On 7/14/2008 5:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You can send me the painkillers!!! Or do what I do and save them for later, for recreational use and deal with the pain. Because you know you're going to have Vicodin for fun at a later date. I'm so bad...

    Good girl. Beer and IB. Good.

    Yeah, I remember taking so much Vicodin after my C-sections that I didn't really have to use "bowels" for about a week or so. Which was quite scary because, well, that's just fucking scary.

     
  • On 7/14/2008 7:42 PM, Blogger Jen said…

    I'm glad it went okay. I hope that the next stages go as easily as possible. I'm so glad you posted this - I was wondering how you were doing and then thought I was delusional and the surgery was this Friday instead. Hmmmm.... maybe I shouldn't have been so quick to embrace 49, lol.

     
  • On 7/14/2008 7:47 PM, Blogger Nancy said…

    Let the healing begin and the hurting stop! Glad it went well =)

     
  • On 7/14/2008 9:18 PM, Blogger Suzy said…

    I loved the Vikes and now that they're all gone, I miss them. They were xcellent for sleeping. And I don't drink. Although believe me, it sounds tempting.

     
  • On 7/16/2008 9:43 AM, Blogger cathouse teri said…

    You bettah get bettah, babe!

     
  • On 7/16/2008 11:46 PM, Blogger Brillig said…

    Hahahahaha. The "excuse me, but could you pull up my panties" lady in the restroom? Oh, PLEASE???

    Glad things seem to have gone okay. Hope the recovery process goes smoothly!

     
  • On 7/19/2008 3:46 PM, Blogger Jenn in Holland said…

    I so totally want to see the gross photos!
    And I am all over the ibuprofen and alcohol pain killer combination. Tonight for the pain in my hand (stupid, stupid me) that mixture is with red wine, and baby, I am feeling fine.

    Hope you are better with every passing day!!

     
  • On 7/19/2008 5:22 PM, Blogger FriĆ°vin said…

    I discovered the joys of beer/wine and Advil or Tylenol when txrad got out of the hospital and needed something non-aspirin for pain. Of course I caught hell from one of my readers because mixing alcohol with those is supposedly not a good idea; it's on the label.

    But shit, why is everything fun never a good idea??

    Glad you are over the worst.

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to Front Page