Yes, she's strange and different...but not THAT different.

09 October 2008

"That's so gay" = That's not nice

Do your kids use the phrase "That's so gay", especially in a derogatory way? Does it bother you? (If it doesn't, it should.) Perhaps you should take a look at a new PSA ad campaign just released by the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network (GLSEN) in conjunction with The Advertising Council entitled "Think B4 You Speak". The new campaign, which features Hilary Duff and Wanda Sykes, aims to raise awareness among straight teens about the prevalence and consequences of anti-LGBT bias and behavior in America's schools. Ultimately, the goal is to reduce or even prevent the use of homophobic language in an effort to create a more positive environment for LGBT teens. And that's a good thing.

The announcement of the campaign can be found at PR Newswire. There's a link there to the actual ads or you can go directly to Think B4 You Speak to see them.

  • On 10/09/2008 3:42 PM, Blogger heels said…

    I've seen these ads online. Not bad. I've never used that phrase, and I don't tolerate it from people around me.

    However, I used to use the word "cocksucker" until I realized "Hey! Why am I saying that sucking cock is a bad thing? It's not my favorite thing, no, but neither do I think it's gross that it's done. Cocksucker is so not a bad word!" So now, instead, I say "shitsucker," because seriously- sucking shit is pretty nasty, I don't care who you are.

     
  • On 10/09/2008 8:25 PM, Blogger Jen said…

    I'm glad to say that C would never utter those words. He was actually discussing this the other day because someone at his school said that to him and he explained how inappropriate and what a put-down it was. The other kid had never thought about it before, and since his neighbors are a lesbian couple (who he loves) he felt even more ashamed.

    So often kids just don't even know what they're doing. It's no excuse, though.

    I'm glad this ad campaign will be getting out there.

     
  • On 10/11/2008 2:59 PM, Blogger Suzy said…

    It's too late 4 Hollywood. We ALL use it. Read my Part 2 at Uproarious about what the head of Q-comedy says about that phrase.

     
  • On 10/13/2008 3:18 PM, Blogger Jenn in Holland said…

    Oh! I couldn't agree more. I can't remember the exact circumstance (gods forbid it might have been my kid actually uttering the phrase I think he might have been quoting the phrase) but one night when the kids were young my husband went off on the rant to end all rants about that phrase being this generations racial slur and drove it home to the kids that he would never tolerate that kind of speech coming from them. I loved him more than ever in that moment.
    Now, if I could only get him to go deliver the same lecture to the countless kids I hear using the phrase often at school and on the street *yes, even in Dutch*.
    Thankfully, my smart kids have taken up the cause and I have heard them taking friends to task over using such indecent language!
    Couldn't be prouder.

     
  • On 10/14/2008 3:06 PM, Blogger soccer mom in denial said…

    Couldn't agree more although I'm not hearing it as much as I had in the past. Maybe because same sex marriage is legal in my state? Hmmmmm.....

     
  • On 10/23/2008 5:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We could always start describing anything boringly conservative as straight. Oh. They do that already, don't they? x

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to Front Page