Yes, she's strange and different...but not THAT different.

20 January 2009

History in the making

We all know that today is the day that Barack H. Obama will say the following words and become the 44th President of the United States of America:
"I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the office of the President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States."
In so doing, he becomes the first person to be elected to that office while openly acknowledging his African heritage. (There is still debate as to whether Warren G. Harding had an African heritage but even if he did, he was totally secretive about it.) Needless to say - although thousands of pundits WILL say it - that's historic.

I'm proud of my country for once again demonstrating what democracy really is with the peaceful handing over of power from one of the most divisive leaders to one of the most uniting ones in a spirit of co-operation. I'm also proud of the American people for doing (what I think is) the right thing and electing Obama, and I'm wondering if his election will elevate not just the country of America as an entity but also its individual citizens in the minds of the rest of the world. Not only has this country lost an enormous amount of respect and prestige over the last 8 years, but I also can't help thinking that the citizens of the world had to be wondering, "How could the American people elect such a shitty leader?" I think we Americans have proven once again that while we might fuck up - sometimes in a big way - we are also capable of stepping up and doing the right thing. I'm proud to be an American citizen.

Post a Comment

<< Back to Front Page