Yes, she's strange and different...but not THAT different.

27 February 2009

Peeved

Yes, I'm still here - I know you can't tell from the postings but I haven't slipped into the Abyss.

I'm pissed and even if you don't want to know why, I'm still going to tell you. I have applied for unemployment benefits from the great state of Texas. I've been approved for unemployment benefits. I will get the maximum benefit allowed by law of $392 / week. That's all OK - although I'd like more money. That benefit is doled out in the form of a cash card issued by Chase Bank that was sent to me and is renewed every week by the state. What has me peeved is that the card has a FUCKING SERVICE FEE assessed by the bank every time it's used! I can use it once for free and after that, every time it's used Chase sucks half a buck out of the card's balance. So, Chase Bank - who was one of the "bad" banks that helped to cause the current economic mess - is now not only getting billions of bailout bucks but also bleeding a little off of every unemployment account that they (indirectly) helped bring about. I wonder how many folks at the Texas Workforce Commission got blowjobs from Chase middle management to set up this sweet deal? And of top of everything else, umemployment benefits are subject to federal income tax! Welcome to the recovery!

  • On 2/27/2009 8:56 PM, Blogger Suzy said…

    OMG, that is just hateful. My bank (Wells Fargo) got their money and then immediately RAISED all their fees, one up to $75. So sorry Jami, can't you do anything about it? Probably not.

     
  • On 2/28/2009 8:31 PM, Blogger soccer mom in denial said…

    Whaaaaaaatttttt!?!?!?!?! That just screams phone calls to your state delegation, your congressional delegation AND the Attorney General (if that is who manages consumer protections).

    And, perhaps, a phone call to a news program. Seriously, that is just outrageous and should be called out.

     
  • On 3/01/2009 6:20 PM, Blogger Jen said…

    That is beyond insane. Truly.

     
  • On 3/02/2009 8:20 AM, Blogger hotdrwife said…

    What in the f*ck is THAT about??

     
  • On 3/06/2009 3:49 PM, Blogger Sherri said…

    You cannot be serious. Wow.

     
  • On 3/23/2009 10:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Over here in the UK they charge you around £37 every time you go even a penny overdrawn or have a payment bounce, plus the government doesn't want anyone getting benefits over the post office counter any more... It's all paid into bank accounts, and from those benefits the banks cream off that huge sum they're claiming it costs them to send a letter!

    So yeah. I sympathise. x

     
  • On 3/23/2009 7:25 PM, Blogger Suzy said…

    P.S. this wasn't my recovery if you'll recall!

     
  • On 3/29/2009 4:29 AM, Blogger Jenn in Holland said…

    Fuckers.

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to Front Page