Yes, she's strange and different...but not THAT different.

24 May 2009

Mom Explains Decision To Let Son Live As Girl

KETV television in Omaha recently aired a story about a mother's decision to let her 8-year-old son live full-time as a girl. Watch the story here. You can also participate in a poll about whether the mother did the right thing. (When I looked, the results were over 50% thought she was right, 30% thought she was wrong and the rest didn't know.)

  • On 5/25/2009 11:08 AM, Blogger Jen said…

    Okay, so I know I'm over-simplifying, but the girl said it herself - she didn't "match".

    I'm left-handed. If I'd been born in the 1930s, I probably wouldn't be left-handed as I would have been "forced" into right-handedness. I also would probably have been considered "dumb" in school and would be far higher than average in terms of being susceptible to stroke and other health-related issues that happened to folks who were "switched".

    It seems that for transgendered folks, they are "switched", and to "force" them into the right gender must have enormous consequences, far, far beyond anything that might happen to someone switched for something as relatively tiny as handedness.

    Her parents did the loving thing.

    I wish our society could be just a tiny, teeny, wheeny bit forward thinking and loving.

    Ugh.

    And Jami - how the hell are you???

     
  • On 5/25/2009 4:23 PM, Blogger Suzy said…

    I saw this a few days ago and agree with Jen. I heard the girl explain herself quite well.

     
  • On 6/09/2009 10:47 PM, Blogger Lola said…

    I think it's awesome and very brave of both the parents and the child. Clearly the parents could have made their decision and lived their lives, instead, they chose to tell their story in an effort to educate people. I completely agree with the parent's decision.

    I'm blog hopping and commenting as part of a June Comment Challenge one of my blogger friend's is having. 1000 comments in June. I don't know whose blog roll I jumped off to find your blog, but I'm happy to have found it. I read your interview at Konagod. Great interview.

    Stopping by as part of the June Comment Challenge.

    http://lolasdiner.blogspot.com
    http://lolasvictorygarden.blogspot.com
    http://firecrotchrocket.blogspot.com

     
  • On 6/20/2009 10:09 AM, Blogger DeniseUMLaw said…

    Happy Birthday, Jami!

     
  • On 6/26/2009 10:28 AM, Blogger Weekends Off said…

    Hey Jami, just checkin in on ya. How's the job hunt going? How's the family?

    You doing OK?

     
  • On 9/17/2009 7:54 AM, Blogger Weekends Off said…

    Oh where oh where has my dear Jami gone?
    Oh where oh where can she beeeeee????

    (That's me singing...I forgot how the rest of the song goes LOL)

     
  • On 10/05/2009 8:23 AM, Blogger exskindiver said…

    hi jami.

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to Front Page