Yes, she's strange and different...but not THAT different.

22 February 2008

Why no pix?

Because the headshot that's displayed in my sidebar and the photo that shows up if you click it are a couple of years old - and some of you know that - I've been asked why I haven't updated that photograph. The answer is that currently I look like crap and I don't want that splashed across the pipes of the interwebs. And I'll tell you why I think I look like crap (other than actually not looking good - not that I think I'm not good looking).

First, the picture posted here was taken when I was at a different weight than I am today; I weighed 162 pounds in that shot. 3 months ago, I weighed 189 pounds. That scared me and so today I weigh 170 pounds, and I'm shooting for something under 160. At my height of 5' 10", the 189 weight gave me a Body Mass Index of 27.1 which is in the "Overweight" category. A weight of 159 will give me a BMI of 22.8, just about the middle of the "Normal" range. (FWIW, I'd have to get down to 129(!) pounds to drop out of "Normal" and into "Nicole Richie" range.) So, weight is one reason I'm not taking pictures now.

Second, I feel very "blobby" right now. When the picture was taken I had the good fortune to be without a job so I had lots of free time to do things like work out and clean my house and stay toned and all. Since I've been working, that free time has apparently vanished along with all my good eating habits. I'm starting up my lunchtime skating again next week, but it takes a while for it to work. So, being flabby isn't photogenic, either.

Third, I have (stupidly, I admit) had my hair cut several times by differing stylists since that picture was taken and none of them have been good haircuts. Hell, I had better haircuts at the start of summer from my nearsighted grandfather when I was 8 years old. However, I have now found a stylist [waves to Payton!] who apparently understands what a good haircut is, but my hair only grows so fast (actually, "so slow" is more accurate) so it's going to take a while to get back to "presentable". So, another reason I'm not taking pictures is that my hair looks like shit.

Finally, some folks may remember that I was involved in a car wreck (OK, technically me and a tree were involved) back at the end of 2006. That wreck knocked out one of my front teeth and since I wasn't working, I couldn't afford the dental implant to replace it. Yes, I'm working now, and I have dental insurance and have embarked on the replacement tooth voyage but that ship still hasn't docked yet. Any day now, I'm told. But because of my hillbilly smile, I feel very ugly in the mouth right now.

Therefore, until all this ugliness in my life - or at in least my appearance - goes away, y'all are NOT going to see any new pictures. So stop asking.

  • On 2/22/2008 3:27 PM, Blogger DeniseUMLaw said…

    Um, Jami? Could you post an updated picture, pretty please?

     
  • On 2/22/2008 4:17 PM, Blogger heels said…

    Darlin'- your brain is hott, regardless of the package.

    (But, damn, I know how you feel...)

     
  • On 2/22/2008 5:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was actually wondering this exact same thing. But you are gorgeous anyway *mwah*

     
  • On 2/22/2008 5:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh, just wanted to add, I weighed 191... ONE FUCKING NINETY-ONE a month ago. What the hell has happened to my body?

    I know it's so lame to say, but I'm on Weight Watchers (never thought I'd say that because I'm tough like that). But it DOES work. I've lost 12 pounds already so, it's pretty cool. It's hard the first couple of weeks but it's pretty easy now. But you're tall, I'm sure the extra pounds barely affected you. Don't be so shy! :)

     
  • On 2/22/2008 6:36 PM, Blogger Suzy said…

    Hey, your sidebar slid to the bottom of the page. I know it's a code thing or maybe you're just trying to hide your pic?

    I'm in the same category, am not feeling that photogenic and all digital cameras should be shot.

     
  • On 2/23/2008 5:52 AM, Blogger Jenn in Holland said…

    I'm still asking.

     
  • On 2/23/2008 7:02 AM, Blogger Jen said…

    Congrats on your weight loss - that's fabulous. And I hope everything gets better soon. And we'd probably think you're beautiful, anyway!

     
  • On 2/25/2008 4:11 PM, Blogger Jami said…

    Pictures soon. Be prepared.

     
  • On 2/25/2008 9:59 PM, Blogger robkroese said…

    I don't want to see any new pictures until you're at least 400 pounds.

     
  • On 2/26/2008 11:22 AM, Blogger Jami said…

    OK, Diesel - I'm moving to Jupiter. And we all know about what happens on Jupiter ...

     
  • On 2/26/2008 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Jami, Cyndi from the Windy (city, that is) here.

    I hope you check comments on non-current posts, because otherwise you'll be unaware of how cool I think you are.

    Of course, if you're not seeing this, how the hell would I know?

    HMMM...

    In any event, I'm gonna take a stab in the dark (I'm not a big fan of firearms, and BTW, most of those gangster stereotypes about Chicago are rubbish) here and tell you that I just discovered you by way of the very cool comment YOU left on Jen Burke's blog about the encouraging story of Julia Oliver.

    Is it possible that we could chat off-list?

    I am the chairperson of Illinois Gender Advocates and there is something I'd like to talk to you about.

    BTW2 - I just subscribed to your blog, so if you actually DO read this, I may find out, assuming I can read the silly hyroglyph that I have to enter below to send this message.

    >>> (all respect, no restraint)
    Cyndi Richards
    tgcyndi@yahoo.com

     
  • On 2/28/2008 5:29 PM, Blogger exskindiver said…

    damn woman...
    get that tooth!
    time for new pics.

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to Front Page