Yes, she's strange and different...but not THAT different.

12 April 2008

I am SUCH a geek!

Last August, I got a new phone. In the time between then and now it's seen a lot of action and has taken more than its share of abuse - without complaint. But a few weeks ago, it suffered an injury that showed. To its credit, it took a lickin' and kept on ... well, not tickin' but at least phonin'. I dropped it and the front glass (yes, it's GLASS!) window broke. However, the display underneath appeared to be OK.

Busted phone: Broken glass and naked USB port (lower right).

So, because since AT&T bought Cingular and they no longer do repairs on cell phones, I took it to a cell phone repair store. Cost to fix: about $100! Now, if I had lost this phone, it would cost me no more than $50 to replace it because I carry insurance on it. That would mean a hassle and a delay because they disable the existing phone as soon as it's reported lost or stolen. But, then I thought,
"Why not fix it myself? I'm a geek - and a good one - and I've never dived into a cell phone. I've been told I have talented hands (and other body parts but I don't expect them to be involved in cell phone repair), and I have most of the tools. What have I got to lose? The cost of the parts. And if I totally mess it up, then the phone suddenly gets 'lost'."
I ordered the busted window and the little cover that goes over the USB port that had broken off, along with a plastic pry bar tool to help in popping the covers off. Parts cost, with shipping: $40.

The parts arrived on Friday afternoon, and I dived into my cell phone that night. I took it apart and picked out the broken glass and cleaned up the interior and then put all the new parts in and put it all back together.

All the tools and pieces. The yellow push pin is a specialized tool for removing the little rubber screw covers seen at upper right under the back cover.

Ready to go back together. The alcohol was NOT for drinking; cleaning only. The drinking alcohol is out of the picture ... and in me.

Fixed phone: Intact glass and modestly covered USB port

Just to prove that it's working again.

Time to complete: about an hour. The result: my phone is back to looking good (as good as it can) again and still functional, and I now know how to take it apart AND put it back together. Oh, I am SUCH a geek!

...and here's what you would see if you came up and tried to start talking to me while I was on my phone.

  • On 4/14/2008 2:21 PM, Blogger Suzy said…

    Well aren't you the clever one? It's yet one more reason to avoid ATT and stay with Verizon. They fix their phones and if you're a good enough liar (like me) they give you two free ones in the space of 2 years because the phone just suddenly started 'acting up.'
    i.e. got dropped in the toilet.

     
  • On 4/14/2008 2:22 PM, Blogger Nancy said…

    Sometimes isn't it just the "I can do that" that is more of the reward than saving a few bucks?

    You rock ... I'll keep you in mind if I ever break mine, lol

     
  • On 4/14/2008 4:16 PM, Blogger Jen said…

    Hey, Geeks rule! And you're not just a geek, you're a fashionable geek - what better combination?

     
  • On 4/15/2008 12:41 PM, Blogger none said…

    Outside of duct tape I never thought of fixing them myself.

    Great job!

     
  • On 4/15/2008 8:45 PM, Blogger exskindiver said…

    can you also fix phones that have fallen into the toilet?
    steve has dropped a more than his share.
    its not like they quit working altogether, they just don't work as well.
    plus they smell.
    I am impressed with your talent.

     
  • On 4/16/2008 1:46 PM, Blogger Jami said…

    I'm paranoid about dropping mine in the toilet! I've never had to recover one but I did find this on WikiHow.

     
  • On 4/17/2008 1:52 PM, Blogger FriĆ°vin said…

    My brother has busted his phone up several times and always fixes it himself. I didn't even know that was possible until he told me. Nevertheless, it looks like it requires a lot of patience -- something I ain't always got a lot of.

    :lol:

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to Front Page