Yes, she's strange and different...but not THAT different.

13 May 2008

Medical Update

Because I know that both the hordes of my loyal readers are anxiously waiting to know the outcome of my knee injury, here's the latest update. I started taking Limbrel, a new anti-inflammatory medical food (prescription only but not a drug) on my last visit to the orthopedist. It has apparently helped a lot without any of the usual side-effects of other anti-inflammatories, like Celebrex or Vioxx. Either that, or time and taking it easy on the knee have helped a lot. Then I had the MRI done last week and finally today talked to the doctor again about the results.

It turns out that I have a small tear in the rear portion of the lateral semilunar cartilage of my left knee. There's no way to tell how long it's been there, but if the car door injury didn't cause it, it certainly aggravated it. The tear is currently slightly inflamed and causing some pressure within my knee. However, since the condition of my knee is improving (no longer walking with a limp and able to navigate stairs but still unable to run or do deep knee bends), the current therapy will be to do what I've been doing (avoiding excess strain and taking Limbrel) for another month and see if the improvements continue. So, essentially I spent a big hunk of the insurance company's money so my doctor can tell me that his response to my complaint of "Doc, it hurts when I do this" is "Then don't do that!"

In other medical news, I tripped and fell (don't ask!) while outside working in the yard this weekend but managed to break my fall with the tips of all my fingers against the slate on our front steps. Oh, this little mishap occurred about ten seconds after taking off my gloves. In addition to my fall, I managed to simultaneously break off EVERY FINGERNAIL I OWN! Not severely broken (like down into the quick), but it still hurt like hell. I've never really had what could be called long (or even, like, medium) nails, but after trimming off the broken ends, my nails are now very, VERY short. And no, I have no idea why I landed on my fingertips instead of, like, my palms or even my forehead. Talent, I guess. But now, at least, I can put off getting that manicure I've been needing for a while. (Oh, hell, let me take a picture to post with this so you can see.)

"Hey look! Jami did another spider post!"

  • On 5/13/2008 1:11 PM, Blogger cathouse teri said…

    You achy breaky thing! :)

     
  • On 5/13/2008 2:52 PM, Blogger Howard said…

    Get better soon. Or else.

     
  • On 5/13/2008 3:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Glad you're feeling better with the Limbrel! I'm glad it's more like a food or herb instead of nasty chemicals or drugs where you worry about side-effects like your liver falling out or something.

    Sucks about your nails but damn, never heard anyone falling like that! Glad you're ok. Oh, and that's an ultra cool background for a hand model picture!

     
  • On 5/13/2008 7:04 PM, Blogger Suzy said…

    As long as there's no surgery, that's good news. The bad news? Apprarently you're a klutz.

     
  • On 5/13/2008 8:28 PM, Blogger Jami said…

    @KittyT - I didn't break my thing.

    @Howard - working on it.

    @1L1L - trust me to break new ground along with my nails.

    @Suzy - yes, I'm a klutz but I have fast reflexes so I can be klutzy very quickly.

     
  • On 5/14/2008 11:09 AM, Blogger Jen said…

    Wow, I bet that hurt! Anything involving fingertips and nails can be quite frightening.

     
  • On 5/15/2008 3:02 PM, Blogger DeniseUMLaw said…

    Only you would post a picture of your hand.

    I'm sorry I've not called yet. I'm swamped (and, besides, I need quiet time to talk with you and that's rare).

    I'm glad your knee is improving. I hope it continues to improve and you won't need surgery.

    Look at the upside -- no more heavy lifting! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to Front Page