Yes, she's strange and different...but not THAT different.

22 July 2008

Does it hurt?

In my haste to post my nasty pictures, I neglected to issue a medical status report. So this is it.

The surgery took about an hour. I walked out of the day surgery center, flew home (OK, maybe it just felt like I flew) and then went to bed and slept for about 24 hours. The pain was moderate for several days but rapidly tapered off. The final report from the surgeon was that he trimmed and smoothed the one small torn spot on my left knee's medial meniscus (cartilage), smoothed down some of the small shelf of bone on the back of my kneecap and removed some small adhesions that were limiting movement. The bandages came off last Friday and the (remaining) stitches come out next Thursday.

Today, I have some minor swelling and a fabulous psychedelic color scheme in the knee from the surgery. I do have full mobility and no pain with normal use, although it does hurt some when I push it to its limits. Actually, that should read "...when the PHYSICAL THERAPIST pushes it to its limits" since I'm really not into self-inflicted pain. In everyday use, I'm being careful not to stress it yet (no running, skating, etc.), and I'm especially careful of rotating it as that seems to be a big pain-maker. I'm assured that everything will be back to normal (or what passes for normal for me) in a month or so if I'm diligent about my physical therapy and exercises.

Finally, when I came home last Friday after getting the bandages off, the big show at our house was my knee - of course. After seeing it in all its technicolor glory, Fireball's comment was, "Does it hurt? Because it looks REALLY bad. It looks worse than MY leg did ... and I got run over by a lawnmower!" I assured her that it looked a LOT worse than it felt.

  • On 7/22/2008 1:40 PM, Blogger cathouse teri said…

    I didn't like THAT kind of nasty pictures! Let's get to the really good nasty ones! ;)

     
  • On 7/22/2008 2:12 PM, Blogger Suzy said…

    UGH. My foot looks worse but only because it has 47 layers of moldy yellowing skin that cover the black scars. Fortunately I missed the bruising part of my recovery.

    I hate that PT is so painful. My doctor told me it's SUPPOSED to hurt when you walk because that heals the bones. HE'S A PSYCHO.

    Race you to Gaywood.

     
  • On 7/22/2008 4:31 PM, Blogger hotdrwife said…

    oh, OUCH.

    But the Gaywood sign? AWESOME.

     
  • On 7/22/2008 5:52 PM, Blogger Jen said…

    It sounds like it went okay! I'm glad, but sorry for your pain. Fireball totally cracks me up. ;-)

     
  • On 7/22/2008 7:11 PM, Blogger Brillig said…

    Well, I'm glad it looks worse than it feels! So... you're Jami and the Amazing Technicolor Dream-knee?

     
  • On 7/23/2008 8:08 PM, Blogger soccer mom in denial said…

    Oh good luck getting better! Yucky!

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to Front Page