Yes, she's strange and different...but not THAT different.

06 February 2009

Update

So, what's been happening? Where have I been? Well, I've been right here but have been so busy that blogging has taken a back seat to everything else. Hell, blogging hasn't even been getting in the car, much less the back seat!

As to what's been happening - obviously a lot. At work, the company is moving to a new accounting system and I was tasked with finding all the data in the old system's database, figuring out where it's supposed to go in the new database, converting it and loading it into the new system's database, all under the direction of the accounting gurus. The fact that no one knows anything about how the old system's database was organized hasn't helped. The additional fact that the new system requirements are constantly changing hasn't helped. The fact that I'm the only one doing this work (because I'm the one with the experience) hasn't helped. I feel like I'm trying to stop a charging rhino with a disassembled BB gun - underpowered, moving target, trying to put things together. It's not over yet, but I think I've figured out how to put the gun together, how to aim it and where to shoot to have a chance of succeeding. Then yesterday, I was informed that the work I had been doing prior to the conversion work I'm now doing is going to become a high priority item. Also. I keep telling myself that this is all good in these hard times because it means that I'm working. But ya know sometimes I wish it was simply work and not WORK!

On the personal front, everyone at home has been sick at least once in the past 6 weeks or so, some of us twice. My second go-round started last night and while I'm at work today, I plan on playing the sick card this weekend. Pink Guy has been having some problems with school and life in general, and while it's nothing more than his turning 13 - and all that that implies - to him they are very real issues and need to be dealt with. The tenant at one of the two condos we inherited from Redheaded Spouse's dad quit paying rent and moved out - after trashing the place, taking the refrigerator and leaving all her garbage behind. I so do not like cleaning up other people's shit ... literally! One of our dogs may have to be euthanized, we're experiencing a drought (still!), one of our cars needed major work and on and on. R.S. has been putting in a lot of time taking care of her mom who is recovering from another minor stroke so I've been shouldering most of the domestic chores. We won't talk about the perpetual pile of clothes to be washed, OK?

And on top of it all, I decided to put a tile floor into the upstairs bathroom where the toilet overflowed and destroyed the carpet last year. (BTW, whose stupid idea was it to put carpet in the bathroom, anyway? Oh - that would have been the folks who built the house: us.) Anyway, I just couldn't take the wooden subfloor any more! Here's that:

New floorThat's right - I hocked the toilet to buy tequila and Prozac! OK - not really; here's the finished result.

It's not a really big space but I'm proud of the way it turned out. Something good to show for my efforts. Of course, now we're thinking about redoing the REST of the room ...

  • On 2/08/2009 2:50 PM, Blogger Jen said…

    Okay, so I'm reading backwards. The floor looks great.

    I hope you all keep healthy and that you find a new tenant and that Pink Guy survives 13 (that IS an interesting year - I used to teach that age group - it's great but interesting...).

    Huge hugs on everything.

     
  • On 3/29/2009 4:36 AM, Blogger Jenn in Holland said…

    The floor is gorgeous. As for the rest of it... well, sorry doesn't cut it as a word. But my empathy, sympathy, commiserations are all yours.

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to Front Page