Yes, she's strange and different...but not THAT different.

25 April 2008

I have a bad feeling about this

And I really do feel bad. More accurately, my knee feels bad. When I was 17 I was involved in a motorcycle accident that messed up my left knee. I won't go into the actual damage because that's boring and gross and not really relevant. The knee is messed up; sometimes it hurts a little and doesn't work too well. Sometimes it hurts a lot and doesn't work too well. Suffice it to say that in the years between 17 and now, that knee has sometimes caused me problems but not ones that could not be resolved with some combination of time, drugs, rest and therapy. But most of the time I forget that it's messed up. Today, however, I'm very aware of the fact that it's fucked - and not at all in the good sense of that word.

Yesterday evening, as I was getting in the car (after taking the kids out to eat) I was halfway in the car with all my weight on my left leg, the leg kind of torqued around, when a gust of wind slammed the open car door into my left knee. And something in there felt like it gave way when that happened. When I could see again after the initial surge of red-hot PAIN, I started looking for blood on my leg because I was sure there had to be shattered bones sticking through there somewhere. There weren't. As soon as I got home, I went through my standard knee pain palliative care routine, but today - even with my trusty old knee brace on - the pain is still very bad. I have made an appointment with my orthopod surgeon neighbor for Monday afternoon, and something tells me that my luck may have run out with regard to surgery on this knee. I'll let you know. The good news is that I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to be schlepping any more concrete blocks this weekend.

  • On 4/25/2008 4:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ohhh. I'm sorry! *kisses knee* Damn... motorcycle!

    I find pretty much everyone lives with a certain amount of pain and/or discomfort in your life. Mine is a constant ringing in my ears and asking people, "Whaaaa?" a few times a day. Annoying as fuck.

    Good luck and let us know if you feel better soon, what the good doc says, and if anything improves. Owwww.

     
  • On 4/25/2008 7:30 PM, Blogger Suzy said…

    Oh geez, you know that I for one am REALLY hoping it's nothing. Good luck...

     
  • On 4/25/2008 9:13 PM, Blogger none said…

    Damn I'm so sorry about your knee
    :(

    My dad just had his second full replacement 5 days ago (age 61) he is already up and walking.

    Maybe current technology can fix you up good as new. Best of luck!

     
  • On 4/26/2008 1:19 PM, Blogger Jen said…

    Oh, Jami, I'm so sorry to hear this! I hope you're WRONG, and that everything will be RIGHT with the knee. I feel your pain. Getting older sucks.

     
  • On 4/28/2008 2:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ouch. I have a clicking knee that results from there not being enough cartilage in there from birth; I kind of figure being six foot two means the energy went into my height and the gods skipped on fully furnishing the kneecaps. But it clicks more in cold weather, like you hear about rheumatism being more obvious in winter. Weird.

    I know your pain. Joints and backs are the most horrible hurts. I hope you feel better soon, hon. x

     
  • On 4/28/2008 2:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jeez, once again I'm finding it near-impossible to leave comments on Blogger. It just took over half an hour for the comment to be processed and to appear! Your blog speed is fine, it's the comments... And I was having this problem a few weeks ago as I recall... Blogger doesn't move very fast to fix stuff, does it? x

     
  • On 4/28/2008 12:56 PM, Blogger Jami said…

    Thanks, y'all! I'm leaving to head to the doc in about an hour. I'll let you know.

    @Suzy - PLEASE believe me when I say that I am NOT trying to one-up you in the Messed-Up-Walking-Parts Division!

    @Spicy - even I had trouble leaving comments over the weekend! And yes, Blogger moves at its own pace.

     
  • On 4/28/2008 1:21 PM, Blogger cathouse teri said…

    Aw.......... I hate it when you're not feelin fine! Dammit!

    If I send you sexy pics of me, will it help? haha

    Oh ~ per a previous post that I forgot to comment on ~ "cuffing your carrot?

    made.me.laugh.out.loud

     
  • On 4/29/2008 10:28 AM, Blogger Jami said…

    Teri, you KNOW sexy pics always make me feel better! Money and cute shoes and tequila also make me feel better!

     
  • On 4/29/2008 2:17 PM, Blogger cathouse teri said…

    All I have is the sexy!

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to Front Page