Yes, she's strange and different...but not THAT different.

09 July 2008

Some stuff

Political stuff first. So, now the US's pet government in Iraq is starting to turn on its masters. Despite Duhbya's (and McSame's) insistence that the United States won't set a timetable for withdrawal from Iraq, that country's government in now apparently insisting that we do just that or they won't sign the agreement that makes it "legal" for foreign troops (that would be mostly ours, BTW) to remain in the country. Gee, is it time to invade Iran yet to distract us from Iraq?

Now on to the personal stuff. My trip to Denver over the holiday weekend was a bust from the "meeting folks and having fun" perspective. It was, however, very productive from the "get a lot of work done for a favorite family member" perspective. So, nothing to report on the trip front other than not being home for the fireworks displays.

I find myself starting to get a little anxious about going in for arthroscopic surgery on my bum knee on Friday about noon. That's probably because the knee is not currently causing me any grief at all. I understand that the surgery is a minor procedure to trim up the torn cartilage and that I'll be walking out of the day surgery center within hours of walking in, but still ... surgery. However, I know that if I cancel this procedure, within a week Murphy will ambush me and I'll be back to painful limping and wishing I'd had the surgery.

For some unknown reason, I've been feeling simultaneously depressed and angry for a couple of days. Is that because I still haven't caught up on sleep from this past weekend or because I'm fretting about surgery? Or is it just because? Regardless, I'm doing my own personal version of calming, happy mental exercises and deep breathing. I'm thinking some medicinal tequila might be in order, too.

  • On 7/09/2008 7:07 PM, Blogger Suzy said…

    Depressed? Over upcoming surgery? Gee, I know nothing about that. I cancelled mine once and it was the BEST feeling. But the pain was still there and I reskedded.

    Of course you're depressed. Totally normal.

    As we say in show bidness, break a leg. As they say in the Mafia, break a kneecap.

     
  • On 7/09/2008 8:55 PM, Blogger none said…

    I think the withdrawl timetable is a sign of sucess of this whole debaucle. It will save the repubs the pain of having to do it themselves.

    I wish you the best on your surgery and thank god it's 2008 instead of 1958.

     
  • On 7/10/2008 12:49 AM, Blogger robkroese said…

    The fact that the Iraqis are feeling ready to take over seems pretty promising to me. As for "turning on us", well, they're a democracy. Democracies get to decide things for themselves. Sounds like win-win to me.

     
  • On 7/10/2008 9:11 AM, Blogger Jen said…

    I hope the Iraqis stand their ground.

    Medicinal tequila is always necessary IMHO.

    I'd cancel on the surgery - surgery is surgery. If your knee is awful again you can reschedule. Of course, I'm not a doctor or anyone who should give an opinion on this. ;-)

     
  • On 7/10/2008 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sure, they're calling for a timetable. Makes sense. But like everything else under Bush, it can be ignored without consequence (though I'm holding out hope for some serious jail time for him or exile to a not-so-pleasant locale).

    Of course you're depressed - the prospect of surgery does not make people jump for joy even though it usually doesn't wind up being that big of a deal. I am depressed too since I have to get this mole removed and biopsied next week and I am terrified. Which is not the same as your surgery, I know but... still.

     
  • On 7/10/2008 10:20 AM, Blogger Weekends Off said…

    tequila + deep happy thoughts =

    MY FAVORITE THINGS!

    GOOD LUCK on your surgery and please forgive all my yelling. I'm FULL of CAFFIENE and I'm bouncing off the walls and I probably didn't even spell caffiene right!

     
  • On 7/10/2008 4:59 PM, Blogger janice said…

    I thought I was the only one whose pain (tooth, back or spine) suddenly disappear once an appointment to remedy it is made.

    Best of luck to you and your knee. Try and get plenty of rest prior to the surgery.

     
  • On 7/11/2008 8:21 PM, Blogger Alex Elliot said…

    The only time I was ever excited about surgery was when I had my breast reduction surgery. Other than that I walk around jumpy for not only my other minor things (like having cement removed from my teeth from my permanent retainer)but also anything going on with my kids and husband. I don't sleep well either.

     
  • On 7/12/2008 10:50 AM, Blogger Jami said…

    Thanks for the good wishes and sympathy, y'all! I'm back and for now I'll take the doctor's word for it that he fixed everything In my knee. That's because although I can walk, I can't bend my left knee because of all the bandages and other stuff on it. That stuff is supposed to come off on Wednesday. In the meantime, I'm counting on the good drugs (Vicodin, Suzy!) to let me drift along through the pain until Monday. Yes, I intend to try going back to work. For now, though, I'm going to get my laptop and take it to bed with me. In a purely chaste and technical way of course. Maybe more later.

     
  • On 7/13/2008 9:32 AM, Blogger FriĆ°vin said…

    Here's to a speedy recovery! I'm not actually toasting with medicinal tequila since it's 9:30 in the morning and the Lord's day no less!

     

Post a Comment

<< Back to Front Page